Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Re: I can't take the sassiness anymore!

My 4.5 year old is up to these shenanigans a lot lately too. She has a lot of this going on.

"Avy, go clean up your room."
"UUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHH! I didn't do it. It was the bubbies/cousin/friend/anyone but her."

"Avy, time to turn off the tv."
"UUUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH! I just started watching it (4 episodes ago!)."

Every time she does it I want to just beat that kid...lol. Not really, just expression wise..UGHHH! Lol.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Yes constant reminders here for my 4 yr old dd as well...she is pretty well mannered but she does have a little sassy streak! Usually just asking her to speak differently does the trick.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's the age, but my response to anything said with attitude is "I can't hear you with that tone " (same thing with whining).
Old 03-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Yep. This mommy is losing her mind between the sass, the demands and the whining. My patience is pretty slim as it is being tired all the time with this pregnancy, and I just cannot handle it. Mommy takes a few minutes to get out of a chair. If I just sat down, I'm not getting right back up to get you whatever it is you just decided you HAD to have right now. If you want a snack you can wait. If you want a drink, you can get yourself some water from the tower. If you continue that tone with me, you can go to your room until you can talk nicely.

She's a good kid most of the time, cute and thoughtful, but in those moments I want to sell her. Really I do.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
I think it's the age, but my response to anything said with attitude is "I can't hear you with that tone " (same thing with whining).
That's what we use here too, a sudden lack of comprehension on my part. "I'm sorry, I can't understand you when you talk like that." If she's asking me (demanding!) for something, "I want milk!", then she needs to ask nice before she gets the milk, "Can I have milk please?" In that case I hold the cards and she has to play by my rules before she gets what she wants (milk).
Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is 3 and maaaaaaaan does she have some attitude.

I usually make her repeat what she said in a nicer tone/use nicer words. She is getting better but its a struggle. What really works for us is taking away her paci and blankie. Those are her two most prized posessions so she wants them back fairly quickly
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
I am so trying this!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
I am so trying this!
Don't get too excited about it. My 4.5 year old has started using that line back on ME when I use a sharp tone of voice with her. Or, "I don't like your tone of voice, Mommy. I'll be happy to do it when you can ask me nicely." It is SO annoying.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
MilaniasSuperMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
Don't get too excited about it. My 4.5 year old has started using that line back on ME when I use a sharp tone of voice with her. Or, "I don't like your tone of voice, Mommy. I'll be happy to do it when you can ask me nicely." It is SO annoying.
LOL
MilaniasSuperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #20
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

For sass, whining, non polite requests, etc we 1st say something to the effect of: "that wasn't nice" , "that's not how we get anything" , "we use our nice voice to talk to each other" that correct the 3.5 year olds behavoir about 50-75 percent of the time (depending on the day )

If that doesn't work we tell him that he has the choice of time out or being polite. If he remains impolite he gets a time out, which in our house is called "nose to the wall" meaning that he stands in his bedroom corner with his nose touching the wall. A lot of the time he screams, says that he doesn't want a time out, ect, but he doesn't get to come out until either he calms down or its been 4 minutes (he almost always has to stay the full 4 minutes )

After he is done with timeout, I sit down eyelevel with him and ask him why he's in timeout. Once he tells me, I ask if he's ready to obey. Once he confirms that he is, he knows that he needs to apologize to the offended party. We have a rule of very specific apologies in our house. Not just "sorry," but "Brother, I'm sorry for yelling at you."

Then we end it with a hug

Time out didn't really work for us until we started talking with him about his behavior after the time out.