Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dinner question....picky eaters

I make 1 dinner, I do try to make things I know they will eat but they at least have to try it if it's something new. Luckily I've been blessed with extremely non-picky eaters, there are a few things that they will frown upon when I make them but knowing the rules they eat them knowing there won't be anything else until breakfast.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't do separate meals either. Neither of my kids like stuff mixed together so I will alter dinner sometimes. So if we're having chicken and dumplings I will put meat, veggies and dumpling on their plates like its a separate meal rather then chicken and dumplings. And occasionally I make something that I know they won't touch I will make them an alternative but that only happens like twice a year. In general my kids aren't picky eaters, but they do go through phases. 17 month old ds is currently only interested in eating fish no other meats. DD at that age would only eat chicken and no other meat. But I didn't make anything different for them. And sometimes they don't eat anything- ds yesterday only ate breakfast and banana all day- plus his regular milk. DD will go days only eating a few things then all of a sudden she eats everything in site. Unless there is a sensory issue they will eat if they are hungry.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

The best piece of advice is not to look at each day for a toddler. Look at food intake over a week. Toddlers are notorious for picky phases, food strikes and asserting their independence over food. We have always just offered what we are eating, and not really made a big deal out of it. We made the meals more about being grateful for food we have and family time, and less about EAT IT ALL. We do encourage the "one bite rule" but that is tricky to do pre-two, IMO. We have also been blessed with great eaters here, and now at 8, 6 and 3, I can maybe name one thing each kid truly "doesn't like."
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

o/t but mmmm salt potatoes i almost bought some yesterday
Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In our house, you either eat dinner or go hungry. I try very hard to make sure that each meal includes at least one item that each person likes, but if they for some reason turn their noses up at evrything, that's fine. They can eat or just sit at the table while the other eat and then go to bed without desert or snacks afterwards. That's not an early bedtime, just that our dinnertime butts right up to our cleaning up and getting ready for bed. Most times, they eat something, but sometimes they'll say no. We don't fight over it and no one cries.

Breakfast and lunch are almost always eaten without complaint, so dinner is the only meal that we have to enforce this rule.

I do have to say, though, that we have made a point of making sure our kids know where their food is coming from. Not only do we take them to our friend's farm to meet the pigs (our bacon and pork roasts), the cows (our lard and ground beef), the chickens (our chicken roast), the ducks (the duck we gave Nonna for Christmas) that have been providing our food, but we also live in a family that hunts. Each year, the girls "meet" the deer and the squirrels that are brought in before we butcher them. they also are invited into the shed to watch the butchering for a few minutes, if they would like.

Generally they DO want to see the whole thing. DD1 actually ran the foot pedal on the grinder to make this year's breakfast sausages and bratwurst. She's real proud of that. Instead of making them vegetarian, it has made them realize that meat comes from an animal who gave its life so that we can eat. They don't waste meat if it's on their plates.

Having said that, if you ask my eldest what she wants with her dinner, she'll usually pick broccoli or brussels sprouts. :Giggle: DD2 usually wants frozen peas or frozen corn, straight from the freezer. They're pretty well-rounded.

If they turn their nose up at a new food, we just keep serving that food on a regular basis and after a few meals of seeing others eat it, they usually give it a try.

Last edited by blossomgoat; 03-19-2012 at 07:31 AM.
blossomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmommy1 View Post
o/t but mmmm salt potatoes i almost bought some yesterday
What is that??
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They are small potatoes. Kinda the size of a small redskin/creamer potato. You boil them in salted water and serve with butter. It is a local thing I think
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
I do make special meals for one of my kids. She has sensory issues among other things & she will starve herself. My other kids are usually good but I'll make something if need be.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

DS is 21 mo and I don't make a special meal (for him or any of my 5 kids), but he grazes all day and evening, so if he doesnt eat dinner, I don't really care at this age. I do make sure he is into at least one of the things I serve, so he will usually eat something. He doesn't like meat or chicken a lot of times, so I do a lot of protein pasta or rice and beans as a side for all of us.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I usually try to make something that I know everytone would like. I always have my kids try a bite. Usually they will like it and eat it. If not they can eat they can ear the rest of what is served