Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just had my baby at home and pushed for a long time too. I had a cervical lip though so even though I was bearing down with contractions baby was not moving down at all. We tried to push through the lip with movement and time but eventually my midwife had to help move it. After that things progressed but it was still a long time while she was crowing because she was malpositioned and looking to the side. I also tore pretty bad due to her positioning,

Advertisement

Last edited by umphreysmommy; 03-19-2012 at 06:00 AM.
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

I pushed for 2 hours with my first (I thought that was a long time!) and was in a hospital with a midwife and knew I was getting close to them trying to force me into a c-section. I pushed about 15 minutes with my second (12 ounces lighter than my first). C-section with my 3rd (his arm came out after AROM). My 4th and 5th were delivered in 2 contractions and one contraction!
My first had a Charlie Brown head though and the rest of my babies have all had nicely proportioned heads so that may have something to do with it too.
DS1 7 pounds 12 ounces
DS2 7 pounds
DS4 7 pounds 3 ounces
DD 8 pounds 8 ounces!

Having babies seems to get easier- the first one (ones) kind of "pave the way".
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pushed for 2 hours with my first, after 16 hours of unmedicated labor in a hospital with a doula. The hospital we chose is actually pro-natural and had tubs, balls, you name it. After 2 hours, they realized that she was mispositioned big-time. Two different docs came in and disscussed my options with me. They both felt that I could continue to push for another 2 hours if I wanted, but that they were pretty sure that she wasn't going to come out without intervention. And this was from a very pro-"do it your way, Mama" doctor. It ended in a c-sec, which was a scary change of plans, but I have my girl alive and well so I don't regret the decision. I don't feel like I was pressured into the C sec, either.

My second was a VBAC and I pushed for an hour. She kept sliding back up inside or it would have been faster.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the comments ladies. When I look back, I have no idea how I did it. I mean, I remember going through transition and thinking that I knew why women chose pain medication - and knowing I must be close to pushing if I was thinking that. Pushing was even more intense than transition as time went on. If I had been in a hospital I know I would have ended up with various interventions. Believe me, I am the first person to say thank goodness doctors are there. I am so happy I had the safetly net of being minutes away from medical intervention - but when it came down to it I was able to do it myself.

I didn't push until I felt ready, and then I pushed according to my urges for several hours. In fact, my midwife doesn't usually do directed pushing (or have women deliver on their back), but we were trying everything we could think of to get things going. At the end I was pushing on my own, and I chose where to deliver because I did not have the energy to move from where I was.

The thing was, my DD didn't move far down the birth canal productively until about two hours before she was born. So the last two hours were probably much closer to what normal pushing is. When she was born she didn't even have the littlest bit of a conehead (barely any molding), or any bruising whatsoever. She looked... perfect! Her shoulders did get a bit stuck at the end, and the midwife rotated her to get her out - which is why I tore. But she was 8lbs 4oz., so not huge.

The thing was, I was just pushing forever, with no real signs (other than my exhaustion) of anything being wrong. If I had asked to transfer at any time, DH & midwife would have fully supported my decision. Since I was still determined to be at home - and my energy/contractions picked up, and LO was doing well... they let me stay there. But again, I would have gone in a heartbeat if they had said LO was having any problems.

@raising - Thank you! I'm so sorry to hear things were so difficult for you. That must have been crazy hard, and I can't even imagine.

Last edited by kwaii_amaranth; 05-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I thought i pushed for a long time and it was for 5 hours!!! You're amazing!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I am glad to read that both you and baby were fine. Prolonged second stage is associated with adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and you and your baby are absolutely fortunate that a 10 hour second stage with shoulder dystocia did not have any adverse effect.

Honestly, I am truly surprised that your midwife allowed you to continue from home for that long.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
I am glad to read that both you and baby were fine. Prolonged second stage is associated with adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and you and your baby are absolutely fortunate that a 10 hour second stage with shoulder dystocia did not have any adverse effect.

Honestly, I am truly surprised that your midwife allowed you to continue from home for that long.

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post

I am a big advocate of homebirths when done safely and with a properly trained midwife...but I have to agree with this poster. I do understand when on occasion there are variations from the norm when a midwife will make a judgement call within reasonable safety limits, but pushing for 10 hours is really extreme. I have heard of midwives letting a mama push for 4-5 hours if everything is going well, but I am actually quite shocked that she let you push for 10 hours when it sounds like you were quite exhausted.

I know there are some mamas on DS that are very anti-homebirth and anti-midwife and I assure you I am not. In fact I am in the process of getting ready to start training in the next year to become a homebirth midwife. In WA state though, they are required to have a higher level of training than some states and there are strict protocols in place for transfer. Those protocols are there for a reason and I can let you know that even the most laid back midwife I know would have transferred you hours before it sounds like you would have delivered. I am very glad to hear you and your baby ended up not having any issues.

I'd like to suggest that if you have another baby that you consider discussing your birth history with a different midwife rather than going back to the one you had with your first. I'm sure she is a very nice midwife, but that prolonged 2nd stage is really unsafe. Please don't take this as any sort of attack on you at all. I'm so much of a homebirth mama that I've had 2 VBACs at home - but I also had a homebirth turned c/s with my 3rd. Those type of procedures are a good thing when you need them. I'm really glad you were able to safely deliver, but I'm very shocked by your midwife not transferring you if you truly were in 2nd stage for 10 hours.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I pushed for 6 1/2 hours with my second. After 4 hours my midwives transferred me to the hospital because they said after that amount of time they tend to see pretty severe complications. My dd was born 2 1/2 hours after we got to the hospital, with severe shoulder dystocia and i had a very severe hemorrhage from the prolonged second stage. It was my 2 nd shoulder dystocia birth and they considered it a big deal. When i got pregnant with number 3 they were very clear that they felt an attempt at another out of hospital birth was too dusky for me and would only continue my card if i decided to go to the hospital. I have a platypelloid shaped pelvis and while they thought my first 2 babies were in perfect positions (occipital anterior) they were actually not in ideal positions for me (occipital transverse). With number 3 i asked for an early induction at 39 weeks in hopes of a smaller baby, i was put on the gd diet even without gd and i got an epidural (my 1st ever). My 3rd came out in one push. The epidural allowed her to rotate into an ot position, i wad flat on my back which is usually bad but with my pelvis shape it is apparently the mist productive pushing position. It was everything i thought i never wanted in a birth, very medical, very controlled but it is hands down my best birth. Iris the only birth where mybaby wasn't taken away due to complications with shoulder dystocia and it wad the least scathe birth for me. My 2 nd birth almost killed both my dd and myself.

I echo the other posters that i would seek the opinions of other dr and midwives for a second birth, i believe both you and your baby probably got very lucky.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I pushed for 6 1/2 hours with my second. After 4 hours my midwives transferred me to the hospital because they said after that amount of time they tend to see pretty severe complications. My dd was born 2 1/2 hours after we got to the hospital, with severe shoulder dystocia and i had a very severe hemorrhage from the prolonged second stage. It was my 2 nd shoulder dystocia birth and they considered it a big deal. When i got pregnant with number 3 they were very clear that they felt an attempt at another out of hospital birth was too dusky for me and would only continue my card if i decided to go to the hospital. I have a platypelloid shaped pelvis and while they thought my first 2 babies were in perfect positions (occipital anterior) they were actually not in ideal positions for me (occipital transverse). With number 3 i asked for an early induction at 39 weeks in hopes of a smaller baby, i was put on the gd diet even without gd and i got an epidural (my 1st ever). My 3rd came out in one push. The epidural allowed her to rotate into an ot position, i wad flat on my back which is usually bad but with my pelvis shape it is apparently the mist productive pushing position. It was everything i thought i never wanted in a birth, very medical, very controlled but it is hands down my best birth. Iris the only birth where mybaby wasn't taken away due to complications with shoulder dystocia and it wad the least scathe birth for me. My 2 nd birth almost killed both my dd and myself.

I echo the other posters that i would seek the opinions of other dr and midwives for a second birth, i believe both you and your baby probably got very lucky.
It is definitely a big deal! Because of my son's severe shoulder dystocia, my son has a Brachial Plexus Injury that has caused the loss of movement in his left arm (it can affect the right or also both). nerve surgeries, muscle surgeries, tendon surgeries, possible bone surgeries, deformities, therapies since he was 3 weeks old and lifelong... it's changed our whole world! One that I never knew about till our shoulder dystocia! He has limited Range of Motion and has worked for every degree of it and he's only 4. Our weeks are OT, PT, AT, and chiropractors. He also has a few quirks from his loss of oxygen while stuck. ((HUGS)) to you! I'm glad your 3rd birth turned out well! I TOTALLY know what you mean about having such a different birth than you ever envisioned. I never thought I'd end up with c-sections, but at least my other babies have been healthy! Oh, the gd diet never worked for me! I didn't have it with my 2 and 3rd kids, but followed it and they were 10.3 and 12.2 ... go figure!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote