Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #1121
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibirsd View Post
Ok I want to know who sells foreskins because I assist with alot of circs in the nursery at the hospital and the foreskin goes right into biohazard with the instruments ( its usually still attached to the hemostat) to never be seen again. Like huge bucket of hemostats and scalpels.... No one goes thru and picks out the foreskins to sell..... Is this really true?

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
i researched it more, and yeah it's true. the placentas are also sold and used in products. there was an issue with a placenta hair product that was causing female toddlers to develop breasts.

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #1122
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
i find this particularly awful. how could you just let your little baby be whisked away for unnecessary surgery before even really seeing him? very very wrong IMO.

honestly, if a friend of mine chose to ignore all of the scientific valid reasons that you shouldn't circ, i would probably stop talking to them. how you can hear all of those reasons and say things like "well i'm doing it anyway," is beyond me and i just couldn't stay friends with someone like that. extreme? maybe.
Well she isn't just a friend, she's family, and the only family in the area with children.

Also, I don't think it helps the cause to de-friend someone. As a friend you can be a good influence.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #1123
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I often wonder if all of these people who are so nonchalant about male circumcision would circ their girls if that became the norm here (like it is in some countries)? If not, why? Why is it ok to perform non-consensual plastic surgery on half of the population but not the other half?

Last edited by JasmineMama; 03-18-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: I can't spell
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #1124
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Science Nordic article from 11/2011:

Male circumcision leads to a bad sex life
http://sciencenordic.com/male-circum...s-bad-sex-life

About Science Nordic:

"ScienceNordic, launched in November 2011, is the trusted source for science news from the Nordic countries – in English. We cover science in the broadest sense – the human sciences as well as natural science, health and technology.

ScienceNordic is the result of a joint effort from two well-established science news services in the region, Forskning.no in Norway and Videnskab.dk in Denmark, who work in close collaboration with partners in Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Greenland, the Faroe Islands and Åland.

Our team of experienced science reporters and editors follow the regional scientific communities closely, and report constantly and relentlessly on the latest and greatest discoveries.

Videnskab.dk and Forskning.no are both highly regarded, award-winning and widely read science news services, published in Danish and Norwegian respectively. Both disseminate national as well as international science news through their independent editorial offices."

See more about Science Nordic at:
http://sciencenordic.com/about/about-sciencenordic

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #1125
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatha5 View Post
I often wonder if all of these people who are so nonchalant about male circumcision would circ their girls if that became the norm here (like it is in some countries)? If not, why? Why is it ok to perform non-consensual plastic surgery on half of the population but not the other half?
Because they are ignorant of intact male anatomy and function. They think that circumcision is like clipping off a skin tag, and so they think that male circumcision and female circumcision are completely different. They think that the female victims will never come, and that the men are fine. Of course, the reality is that some men and women will "be fine" and some won't. I could go on and on for days with men's stories of damage, but those who will not see will just plug their ears and pretend that no man was ever harmed by circumcision, just like they won't hear the female circumcision victims who claim normal and fulfilled sex lives. Culture is a powerful force and few people have the interest or ability to see outside it.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #1126
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is true. And sadly, sometimes the thing that makes people open their eyes is so devastating, it would be better if their eyes had remained closed. I have a friend who is VOCALLY against circing because her little boy passed away in his sleep after he bled to death in his diaper. She didn't realize what was happening because he was napping -- and like everyone else -- she thought he was handling the procedure well and was fine. When they removed his diaper it was filled with blood. Devastating for that family. Her DS and my DS would have been about the same age.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1127
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It is true. And sadly, sometimes the thing that makes people open their eyes is so devastating, it would be better if their eyes had remained closed. I have a friend who is VOCALLY against circing because her little boy passed away in his sleep after he bled to death in his diaper. She didn't realize what was happening because he was napping -- and like everyone else -- she thought he was handling the procedure well and was fine. When they removed his diaper it was filled with blood. Devastating for that family. Her DS and my DS would have been about the same age.
That is terrible. Sadly, the fact that babies die from circumcision is not enough to stop most people. I know it didn't stop my BIL. That was my last-ditch effort and he still just couldn't live with his son having a foreskin and was willing to take the risk.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #1128
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Every parent's worst nightmare - finding that your sleeping baby is actually dead. And to add to the guilt and horror, that it was something you did that caused it. I can't imagine the grief. It's easy to point fingers and assign blame, but nothing I could ever say could make them feel worse than they already do, so my heart just goes out to them.

I think it was a story like this one that started me looking into circumcision. If DD1 had been a DS, she probably would have been circed - it's just what you do right? Daddy is, so he would have been. A few years ago I read something like this where either a baby bled to death or came close, and I started questioning if it was actually beneficial enough to make it worth the risk. I came to the conclusion that no, it wasn't. It's hard not to judge those still choose to circ, but I try not to. After all, I'd have done it if I hadn't read something that opened my eyes. Now it's looking like all my research on the subject is going to be academic, since this baby is another girl, and I seriously doubt we'll have any more, but both DH and I are in agreement that surgery for our children will be on a needs basis, and a last resort when other options have failed.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #1129
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Every parent's worst nightmare - finding that your sleeping baby is actually dead. And to add to the guilt and horror, that it was something you did that caused it. I can't imagine the grief. It's easy to point fingers and assign blame, but nothing I could ever say could make them feel worse than they already do, so my heart just goes out to them.

I think it was a story like this one that started me looking into circumcision. If DD1 had been a DS, she probably would have been circed - it's just what you do right? Daddy is, so he would have been. A few years ago I read something like this where either a baby bled to death or came close, and I started questioning if it was actually beneficial enough to make it worth the risk. I came to the conclusion that no, it wasn't. It's hard not to judge those still choose to circ, but I try not to. After all, I'd have done it if I hadn't read something that opened my eyes. Now it's looking like all my research on the subject is going to be academic, since this baby is another girl, and I seriously doubt we'll have any more, but both DH and I are in agreement that surgery for our children will be on a needs basis, and a last resort when other options have failed.

...fwiw, in Canada, around 90% of boys are now left intact.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #1130
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
...fwiw, in Canada, around 90% of boys are now left intact.
And funnily enough that has a lot to do with the fact that our provincial health care systems don't cover it. Once parents who are unaccustomed to opening their wallets for health care are asked to pay, miraculously their little boys don't need to be snipped. Nasty government interference....
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote