Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

wow mama, that is actually encouraging to me. When I tried to deliver my last baby VBA2C attempt I ended up pushing for somewhere in the range of 6-7 hrs, but she got stuck face up and head sideways and came out over 10 lbs so another c-section was done. The hospital staff thought I was nuts to push that long and refuse a c-section but to hear you got your baby out with that much pushing is great, thanks for sharing your story.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
That is a sign of trouble and I'm surprised the midwife didn't make you transport! I pushed for 4-1/2 hours and my baby ended up being a severe shoulder dystocia. He had to get pulled out and needed rescusitated and now suffers a lifelong birth injury that requires surgeries and therapies and splinting, and so on.He has limited range of motion even after 4 years of super hard work. I also had an episiotomy, tore all the way, and broke my tailbone from the force of getting him out.

Prolonged pushing is a red flag. I'm glad you and baby are okay.

I've gone on to have 3 c-sections as my babies just keep getting bigger (my first was also a homebirth).
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I am glad to read that both you and baby were fine. Prolonged second stage is associated with adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and you and your baby are absolutely fortunate that a 10 hour second stage with shoulder dystocia did not have any adverse effect.

Honestly, I am truly surprised that your midwife allowed you to continue from home for that long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
I am a big advocate of homebirths when done safely and with a properly trained midwife...but I have to agree with this poster. I do understand when on occasion there are variations from the norm when a midwife will make a judgement call within reasonable safety limits, but pushing for 10 hours is really extreme. I have heard of midwives letting a mama push for 4-5 hours if everything is going well, but I am actually quite shocked that she let you push for 10 hours when it sounds like you were quite exhausted.

I know there are some mamas on DS that are very anti-homebirth and anti-midwife and I assure you I am not. In fact I am in the process of getting ready to start training in the next year to become a homebirth midwife. In WA state though, they are required to have a higher level of training than some states and there are strict protocols in place for transfer. Those protocols are there for a reason and I can let you know that even the most laid back midwife I know would have transferred you hours before it sounds like you would have delivered. I am very glad to hear you and your baby ended up not having any issues.

I'd like to suggest that if you have another baby that you consider discussing your birth history with a different midwife rather than going back to the one you had with your first. I'm sure she is a very nice midwife, but that prolonged 2nd stage is really unsafe. Please don't take this as any sort of attack on you at all. I'm so much of a homebirth mama that I've had 2 VBACs at home - but I also had a homebirth turned c/s with my 3rd. Those type of procedures are a good thing when you need them. I'm really glad you were able to safely deliver, but I'm very shocked by your midwife not transferring you if you truly were in 2nd stage for 10 hours.
I agree with all of these posters (except the fact that I have NOT had any home births but I am all for them when done safely). I am so glad that your baby and you were ok after this 10 1/2 hour second stage of labor. I cannot believe your midwife did not transfer you. I agree with the poster that said to discuss your birthing history with a different midwife. I would not go back to a midwife that did not take my safety and the safety of my baby into consideration (which she didn't when she allowed you to push for 10 1/2 hours). Again, I am so glad you and your baby are ok!

ETA: At the hospital where I work, they will typically let you push about 4 hours before getting concerned unless the baby is showing signs of distress. Of course, this varies on the docs and midwifes but is pretty close to the norm.

Last edited by eguisgirl; 03-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you mind if I ask - did you every feel the urge to push? Like vomit in reverse? Or were you just pushing because you were 10cm? Next time I'd recommend pushing ONLY when your body is helping without you actually having to strain your muscles. At the start that may have been the problem (I'm guessing) but after that it may have been a mental blockage or your body may have went into fear mode - aka, the more determined you were to get the baby out, the less that was happening. So sorry mama, I hope you have a better experience next time!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Next time I'd recommend pushing ONLY when your body is helping without you actually having to strain your muscles. At the start that may have been the problem (I'm guessing) but after that it may have been a mental blockage or your body may have went into fear mode - aka, the more determined you were to get the baby out, the less that was happening. So sorry mama, I hope you have a better experience next time!
I've heard about the fear thing, but I don't buy it all the time. She said her baby got stuck so I'm guessing that is why she pushed so long... When a baby is going to get stuck, sometimes the body won't open up as fast. It's a sign of s/d... when you are stuck in transition 13 hours and baby is turtling or not descending or push for hours on end (prolonged)... many times it's because the body knows the baby isn't going to fit. lo was struggling to come out because of the fit.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My first 2 had solder distocia and had 12 1/2in shoulders. My third was a c section. I went in to ne induced and he would not drop into position. He was born with 16in shoulders.
DH said with the first 2 I only pushed for about 20-30 min.

Last edited by wyoming butterfly; 03-20-2012 at 08:38 PM.
wyoming butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I haven't heard of that. I can't imagine someone actually not passing out from that. How does one even have the energy to push for one hour let alone 10?

I am glad you are safe though! If I had been in that position, I would have requested a transfer to the hospital after 1 or at most 2 hours if I was actually feeling my body pushing and not just me. kwim?

I am not an expert though or a midwife/doula. That's jmo.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never been in labor that long!
WOWZA!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #28
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
I am glad to read that both you and baby were fine. Prolonged second stage is associated with adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and you and your baby are absolutely fortunate that a 10 hour second stage with shoulder dystocia did not have any adverse effect.

Honestly, I am truly surprised that your midwife allowed you to continue from home for that long.
Exactly this.

Your midwife put you and your baby in grave danger.

I am glad it all worked out. I would seek medical care from an OB if you decide to have another baby.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #29
crunch!910
Registered Users

You were very, very fortunate to be with a midwife that trusted labor/birth to allow you to birth the way you wanted without interfering when everyone was alright. Just like you said, if baby or you were ever NOT okay, I'm sure she would have insisted on a transfer, but since baby was fine, you were able to deliver vaginally. Yay! (Trust me, Csections are AWFUL.)

Very interesting that it took so long, do you think you had some kind of mental block you had to work through? I've read stories like that in the Ina May book. Or did you start pushing as soon as you hit 10cm, without first feeling the urge to push? I've heard that can cause a prolonged pushing stage because women can actually dilate PAST 10cm and being "10" does not mean its time to push and you should wait for the urge.

Anyway, congrats mama!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Not all C-sections are awful. I ended up having one after a couple days in labor. It was quick, painless, and I nursed within 30 minutes of delivering. No problems nursing and no problems with the baby. I also had an awesome recovery..was off pain meds in 3 days! No side effects from the epidural, no scar issues or pain at scar site, and no internal scarrage that will interfere with baby #2. (I've had a scan.)

I even hiked wearing my baby at 3 weeks postpartum. Just because you had an awful c-section doesn't mean all of them are that way.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote