View Poll Results: What would you do
Cerclage 6 15.38%
No cerclage 23 58.97%
Wait and have emergency cerclage if needed, or other intervention, knowing the risks are higher 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
paper_girl_76's Avatar
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,850
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

My friend had an ob whose preference for induction was breaking the waters before other options. If there was any effacement or dilating he would opt for that.

I have no information to add about the rest of it.

Advertisement

__________________
tina UC mama of 5!
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76
My friend had an ob whose preference for induction was breaking the waters before other options. If there was any effacement or dilating he would opt for that.

I have no information to add about the rest of it.
I'm certain that's why they broke my water, to induce me, I just don't understand why they had to induce me.
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 966
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

I don't really have any advice other then to make a decision you are most comfortable with and to make it informed. I really hope you get some answers to your previous birth/pregnancy as I feel it'll help you make a more informed decision. I think it's great your giving this lots of thought before you go into it and seeking others experiences. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
__________________
goodbye DS.
jenni_michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
tygr2410's Avatar
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Where the peaches grow
Posts: 11,712
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria View Post
On May 27th (my due date as June 15th) I went to the hospital because DD wasn't moving as much. They hooked her up to monitors for less then 10 minutes and checked me. They said my water was bulging and DD wasn't responding to labour so they were going to break my water.

this is prob why they went ahead and induced...she wasn't moving much that you reported...and perhaps they were seeing something on the monitor to give them concern. You were already "full term" and with a bulging bag, it'd have been likely it's break soon anyways...with an inactive babe and signs they are ready to come out, it's "safer" for them to induce you, then to send you home and a later have a still born.

As far as getting a cerclage this time, I agree with getting a second opinion. I dont' think your previous pregnancy shows cause for one to be placed this pregnancy unless change is shown..however, it's easier to prevent then to go back in time. If you choose to forgo the cerclage, they will likely monitor cervical length and you may end up on bed rest or with a last chance cerclage placed..but go with the second opinion before worrying about all that
__________________
FSOT-please browse here-
Dyed OBV blankets, loveys and fabric cuts in stock now @ hyena cart and "like" me on facebook hereThe Painted Pixie
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
veveland's Avatar
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,384
My Mood:
Did they put a fetal monitor on baby's head after breaking your water? I have had three high risk pregnancies, all induced labors and they always break my water to get an internal monitor since it is a lot more accurate. It may be if she wasn't moving well and something was "off" on the belly monitor, they wanted a better read.
__________________
Valerie, wife to Walt and SAHM to Nick (7/06) and Olivia (7/09) and baby Katelyn (8/11) and currently completing our family through adoption!
veveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
spencerrn's Avatar
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 676
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

I vote cerclage. I am an RN. The reason to do it early before your cervix starts to change is think of sewing a thick piece of fabric vs sewing a very this piece of fabric. The thick piece is alot more likely to stay thick if it starts to pull apart(dilate). If your cervix is already thinning(effacment) which sounds like it did early in your first pregnancy then the cerclage is less likely to be effective.

As far as midwives I know a cerclage does not exclude you from CNM care as long as you do not deliver preterm it actually does the opposite. It gives you a better shot at a term birth with a midwife.

I would also go to the hospital and get your labor record. Then if you have a midwife, doula or nurse friend have them read through your chart with you to explain anything you don't understand.

From what you said, I believe they induced you for decreased fetal movement with a vary favorable cervix, near term. They really should have explained this to you and let you help to make the decision at the time though.

Good Luck and definitively get a second opinion.
__________________
Rachael
wife to Doc since 99, SAHM to Alexander 00,Nathaniel 02, Zachariah 04, Benjamin 07, Christopher 09, Grace 11 and Sophia Jane 10/12.
home waterbirth and NOCIRC!!
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
I can't multi-quote from my phone but THANK YOU to the last 2 posters!

They did put a monitor on her head when they broke my water. I never knew that was a more accurate way.

And thank you RN! In my case the midwife will not take me because midwifed are covered by health care and very selective. They've already told me . However, a fighting chance for my baby's life is all I want at the end of the day.

So much amazing and helpful information. I'm honestly in tears from all the responses. I haven't been able to sleep or think of anything else and it's horrible.
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #28
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410

this is prob why they went ahead and induced...she wasn't moving much that you reported...and perhaps they were seeing something on the monitor to give them concern. You were already "full term" and with a bulging bag, it'd have been likely it's break soon anyways...with an inactive babe and signs they are ready to come out, it's "safer" for them to induce you, then to send you home and a later have a still born.
I didn't think about it this way. I guess watching the business of birth made me cold towards intervention and the reasons behind them.

Truthfully though here's how my labour experience went:

May 26th I go to OB appointment and say I think something's not right, can you check me? She proceeds to talk only about my weight gain and sent me home. (I did gain 40 lbs with LO but lost 33 lbs before leaving the hospital).

May 27th - DD isn't moving as much, go to the hospital ... You know the rest.

At the hospital they break my water and hook me up to monitors. Instantly contractions start and go full force. I ask the nurse for water, she tells me to wait. Im laying face down on the sheets where they broke my water because I can't move around and DH asks for clean sheet, she says to wait. I never get either.

Asked for an epi during transition phase, then Change my mind and get yelled at for wasting their time. They make me get it.

DD cluster feeds and the person beside me complains of her crying. Nurse takes her. Comes back 30 mins later and shoves, literally shoves her on my tit and says "YOUR daughter iSNT responding to ANYTHING we do. You HAVE to get her under control!". I start crying and tell her to walk away.

My catheter was pinching me so I paged the nurse. She just taped it to my leg. Every time I'd move it would punch me so I couldn't move. Not even stand up to get DD.

I asked 3 different nurses about nursing DD because I was having issues. All 3 said I was fine. Then I get my health nurse appointment the day after DD is discharged and she's lost 15% of her body weight. I have to take 26 pills a day, nurse, pump, supplement every 1.5 hours. At 3 months my boobs said screw you and stopped producing milk.


I think the negative experience with an OB birth has me invested in wanting a midwife. I know it's not the OB's fault but I want the birth to be peaceful and nothing like the first.
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
eguisgirl's Avatar
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 5,892
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerrn View Post
I vote cerclage. I am an RN. The reason to do it early before your cervix starts to change is think of sewing a thick piece of fabric vs sewing a very this piece of fabric. The thick piece is alot more likely to stay thick if it starts to pull apart(dilate). If your cervix is already thinning(effacment) which sounds like it did early in your first pregnancy then the cerclage is less likely to be effective.

As far as midwives I know a cerclage does not exclude you from CNM care as long as you do not deliver preterm it actually does the opposite. It gives you a better shot at a term birth with a midwife.

I would also go to the hospital and get your labor record. Then if you have a midwife, doula or nurse friend have them read through your chart with you to explain anything you don't understand.

From what you said, I believe they induced you for decreased fetal movement with a vary favorable cervix, near term. They really should have explained this to you and let you help to make the decision at the time though.

Good Luck and definitively get a second opinion.
I agree with this post (I am also an L&D RN) with the exception that I would *not* have a doula read your chart for you. They are not medical. They are excellent labor support and birth professionals but they are not medical and therefore would not be able to interpret your chart (not only that, but I believe it would be out of their scope of practice and this raises some liability concerns).

Good luck making this decision!!
__________________
Hi! I'm Dawn. Wife and no label mama to my men ages 19, 11, 7 and 2 years old. Catholic God seeker. STAT and PICC RN. Knitter. Friend.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #30
juliasmom's Avatar
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,561
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

I would get a second opinion! From what I understand, they suspect you may have incompetent cervix based on the fact that you were dialated and effacing way too early with your last pregnancy. That part seems clear... why you were induced at 37 weeks is less clear (but IMO doesn't change the fact that you had IC). Did they do a non-stress test before they decided to induce you? Maybe the "not responding" thing was referring to the accels/decels baby is supposed to have to pass a NST? You should be able to get answers from an OB/MW looking at your records.

From what I know about IC (I don't have it, but a friend and my SIL do), the cerclage can only be place in early pregnancy and when you get to that danger zone in the late second tri it is too late. My SIL was in a similar situation... she was 5 cm and 70% effaced the first time she was checked at 36 weeks with her son. She is pregnant again and they opted for progesterone shots during the second tri. I have a friend with 4 kids and her first was born at 35 weeks, her second at 27 week and then she had a cerclage with her 3rd and 4th and delivered full term.

Try not to let the lack of clarity with your induction last time prevent you from trusting your doctor in general. I don't think the induction had much bearing on the reason they think you are at risk for preterm delivery. Ask questions and weigh your options.
__________________
Kim wife to Kyle and mommy to Julia 2/15/2010 and Clara 5/7/2012
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.