Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

Questions to ask potential Doulas

We are meeting with 2 potential doulas this Saturday and I want to make sure I don't forget to ask anything important. Any questions you ladies recommend?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
fluffybunsdiapers
Registered Users
Formerly: paulzangel
seller

My Mood:
I'm going to watch this too....I'm meeting with one next week :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Questions to ask potential Doulas

So far my thoughts are:

How many births have you attended?
Have you attended many at the hospital I am delivering at?
Are you familiar with my OBs?
Are you familiar with Hypnobabies (I will be using this for my natural birth)?
Are you trained to assist with breastfeeding?
How many clients do you take per month?

I'm still working on the list of course :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am a doula, and also a mom who has used a doula. Get to know her, discuss what you feel the role of a doula should be at your birth and see how you feel about her as a good fit for that. That is really the most important thing that I look for in an interview (whether I am the interviewer or interviewee). You are sharing a very momentous occasion with this person, it is important that you feel a good rapport with them. What I usually ask moms to tell me is what kind of birth they are planning and what types of things they envision me doing for them in their birthing time. If I don't feel like it is a good fit for me, I will refer them to other doulas who may fit their needs better. You might ask her how she became a doula or what brought her to choose it as a career path. Her response will likely tell you a lot about her personal beliefs about birth and give you an idea of what she brings to the table.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyaks View Post
I am a doula, and also a mom who has used a doula. Get to know her, discuss what you feel the role of a doula should be at your birth and see how you feel about her as a good fit for that. That is really the most important thing that I look for in an interview (whether I am the interviewer or interviewee). You are sharing a very momentous occasion with this person, it is important that you feel a good rapport with them. What I usually ask moms to tell me is what kind of birth they are planning and what types of things they envision me doing for them in their birthing time. If I don't feel like it is a good fit for me, I will refer them to other doulas who may fit their needs better. You might ask her how she became a doula or what brought her to choose it as a career path. Her response will likely tell you a lot about her personal beliefs about birth and give you an idea of what she brings to the table.

Agreed!

http://www.mothering-hands.com/how-t...e-a-doula.html
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

-do they have a back up doula if for some reason they could not be there
-fees
-familiarity with hospital you are going to (if not a home birth)
-any additional qualifications (most have had a breastfeeding class if certifying/certified with DONA

Mostly just get to know her and make sure you are comfortable.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

My plan is to ask:

What/how many different types of births have you attended(home, hospital, vaginal, vbac, csection)
do you have percentages on them(x% end up using pain medication. y% were hospital transfers)
how many a month? back up doulas?
do you feel confident in your techniques/suggestions to help with pain management?
do you feel confident talking to doctors/nurses when i feel like i'm being ignored in my personal decisions(some will, some will not)

many of the questions mentioned above...
Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino View Post
My plan is to ask:

What/how many different types of births have you attended(home, hospital, vaginal, vbac, csection)
do you have percentages on them(x% end up using pain medication. y% were hospital transfers)
how many a month? back up doulas?
do you feel confident in your techniques/suggestions to help with pain management?
do you feel confident talking to doctors/nurses when i feel like i'm being ignored in my personal decisions(some will, some will not)

many of the questions mentioned above...
This are very tricky questions.

1. As a doula, I support mom's choices and her decisions. If a mama plans on a natural labor and birth, but then changes her mind about it, I am not the one to push her not to take the epidural or narcotics. I do my best to provide comfort, suggestions, etc but I would never want a mom to be traumatized because she couldn't handle labor without medical pain relief. Before birth, we talk about options, risks, benefits, and alternatives. I give her handouts and resources and then it's hers to decide.

2. Talking to the staff about mom's medical choices it out of the scope of a doula. I encourage mom and dad to ask questions before and during birth. I will make them aware if there is something going on that I know they didn't want, but I will NOT speak to the nurses about it. If mom says that she doesn't consent to a particular procedure, and nurses are ignoring it, I will repeat what mom didn't consent but that's it.
I also encourage my clients to carefully read the hospital paperwork before they sign it and not agree to clauses like "the medical staff of this hospital and your doctor can perform any testing or treatments we deem medically necessary to you and your baby".
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
This are very tricky questions.

1. As a doula, I support mom's choices and her decisions. If a mama plans on a natural labor and birth, but then changes her mind about it, I am not the one to push her not to take the epidural or narcotics. I do my best to provide comfort, suggestions, etc but I would never want a mom to be traumatized because she couldn't handle labor without medical pain relief. Before birth, we talk about options, risks, benefits, and alternatives. I give her handouts and resources and then it's hers to decide.

2. Talking to the staff about mom's medical choices it out of the scope of a doula. I encourage mom and dad to ask questions before and during birth. I will make them aware if there is something going on that I know they didn't want, but I will NOT speak to the nurses about it. If mom says that she doesn't consent to a particular procedure, and nurses are ignoring it, I will repeat what mom didn't consent but that's it.
I also encourage my clients to carefully read the hospital paperwork before they sign it and not agree to clauses like "the medical staff of this hospital and your doctor can perform any testing or treatments we deem medically necessary to you and your baby".
thank you for your input!! I am trying to find a doula for myself, and reading information through their pages and online about other doulas, assumed this was the case. i appreciate your clarifying makes sense!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really want to have a doula this time around. I had an amazing nurse who stepped into that role for me last time, and I don't know how I would have done it without her.
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote