Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help getting fever meds into 3 year-old?

Both of my sons have tested positive for Flu A. Getting fever meds into my 7 year-old is no problem -- he can take a pill in a spoonful of applesauce. My 3 year-old...different story. He will fight with all 36 pounds to not take meds in any form. I feel like I've tried everything to get liquid and/or chewable meds into him...but there have to be a few tricks I haven't tried. His fever is really making him achey and miserable, and I desperately want to help him. What has worked for you? I am open to any suggestions you might have. I want to bring his fever down so he doesn't hurt so much.

Thanks for ANY ideas you might have!

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help getting fever meds into 3 year-old?

With my DD who fights taking meds I do liquid motrin in a dropper and give it to after she falls asleep. I sit her up and she's just awake enough to take it but still sleepy enough not to fight me.
I've also been known to bribe them with candy
Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmama2
With my DD who fights taking meds I do liquid motrin in a dropper and give it to after she falls asleep. I sit her up and she's just awake enough to take it but still sleepy enough not to fight me.
I've also been known to bribe them with candy
How old is your daughter?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a very mean mommy when it comes to medication. I also happen to be an ER RN. I hold their arms above their head so that their arms splint their head and keep it from moving. I will straddle their bodies if necessary.

Also Tylenol comes in suppository form over the counter no prescription needed. They can't refuse that one.

Ultimately, You are the mommy and they need to do what you say, esp when it comes to medical care.

Alternately, He doesn't necessarily need fever meds unless the fever is really really high say over 103-104 or he has a history of febrile seizures. If it is that challenging to get meds down then the let the fever do it's job which is to help kill off germs.

Hang in there mama!
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerrn View Post
I am a very mean mommy when it comes to medication. I also happen to be an ER RN. I hold their arms above their head so that their arms splint their head and keep it from moving. I will straddle their bodies if necessary.

Also Tylenol comes in suppository form over the counter no prescription needed. They can't refuse that one.

Ultimately, You are the mommy and they need to do what you say, esp when it comes to medical care.

Alternately, He doesn't necessarily need fever meds unless the fever is really really high say over 103-104 or he has a history of febrile seizures. If it is that challenging to get meds down then the let the fever do it's job which is to help kill off germs.

Hang in there mama!
I usually don't medicate a fever until the boys reach about 102.5, at which point they just seem really uncomfortable. This morning, my 3 year-old was complaining that everything hurt -- even his hair -- and all he could do was sob and lay on the couch like a little rag doll. I try to wedge his head like you describe and I have straddled him before, but he will spit out the meds. He also has the delightful gift of being able to vomit at will.

I am also experiencing major mommy guilt because I didn't get my kids flu shots...and now they're suffering.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Even if you got the flu shot there's no way to know if they wouldn't have gotten it anyway or another flu or virus. We had gotten the H1N1 vax back in 2009 and still got it!
Anyway, I second Tylenol suppositories if they can't keep meds down. I've had to use them for my kids a long time ago.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Even if you got the flu shot there's no way to know if they wouldn't have gotten it anyway or another flu or virus. We had gotten the H1N1 vax back in 2009 and still got it!
Anyway, I second Tylenol suppositories if they can't keep meds down. I've had to use them for my kids a long time ago.
Oh please, let me not have to use suppositories....oh please no.
We have to use them sometimes when he will refuse to poop for days and days and days and is getting tummy aches, and it's such a nightmare.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Tweedledum
Registered Users

I have had to sit on my DD when she had a UTI and refused to take her antibiotics. DH would pry her jaws apart and shove the meds in and hold her mouth shut till she swallowed. It was horrible and traumatic for everyone. I've since moved to bribing her with chocolate chips or gummy bears. I think the bribery began to work because even she liked it better than being sat on. We've been bribing for meds since she was 3.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote