Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Re: When Do You Find Time to Eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Also if your baby has colic, you already know by now that sometimes nothing you do can help him stop crying. He is just going to cry, regardless of what you're doing or if you're holding him. So put him in his crib and take a deep breath and focus on yourself for about ten minutes, just long enough to grab a bite to eat, before you go back to caring for him. It might sound heartless but if you can't take care of yourself, how can you continue caring for another human being?

I had a colicky baby too, and while I figured out how to fry an egg one-handed by cracking the egg the night before and putting it in a container so I could just dump out the egg into a pan in the morning, I couldn't figure out how to eat the egg one handed (without ditching the fork), so I would put DD in a bouncy seat facing me for just a few minutes, and jiggle her with my foot while I ate my egg. She often cried, but I had to eat.

I ate almost every other meal I could manage one-handed while nursing her. It was just the way it had to be for a while! (I like the babywearing idea, but DD would NOT be worn. She hated being confined, had to be carried so she could look out into the world, etc.).

You have my empathy! I hope you can find something that works for you so you can keep your sanity and eat.

Advertisement

Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).
melyndie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Crock pot! I buy the Xbox breasts/thighs from Costco that come in free ER packs of 5. I add a frozen packet tithe crock with whatever seasonings and chop veggies (or use ore chopped!) then dinner is ready quickly. Some days all i ate was a bagel or cereal, but I found out ds2 is dairy allergic, so now I have quick cooking steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. (mix in some almond butter and frozen berries.) lunch... Whatever leftovers, or sometimes a frozen burrito. I also cook rice in the rice cooker. Usually indeed both kiddos at the same time I'm trying to eat, and then the baby is done and screaming to get down before I'm even on my fifth bite. Fun times!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Xbox? Sorry- I'm on my "smart" phone. I meant prepackaged frozen.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have much more to add. Keeping only healthy snacks around helped me, that way if I did eat I knew it was something good for me. I wanted food that wasn't going to make more dishes later. I kept it pretty simple but it was just for a few months. My mom made a couple of lasagnas that we put in the freezer and a friend made another casserole. Those were wonderful to pull out in those early months.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Also if your baby has colic, you already know by now that sometimes nothing you do can help him stop crying. He is just going to cry, regardless of what you're doing or if you're holding him. So put him in his crib and take a deep breath and focus on yourself for about ten minutes, just long enough to grab a bite to eat, before you go back to caring for him. It might sound heartless but if you can't take care of yourself, how can you continue caring for another human being?
I am one of those who is 100% against CIO and I was going to post the exact same thing. Put your baby down for a few minutes and eat. You need to take care of yourself as well!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'm kinda in the same boat. Work PT about 10 hours a week, kids come with me, I have two kids.... honestly I don't get a regular meal or shower. Some moms can get a shower every morning and eat when their kids eat. I guess I am a more frantic, worn thin mom than that, and I shower when I can, eat when I can

I eat a lot of granola, crackers and hummus, fruit, etc. But most of the time dinner is my biggest (or only, somtimes) meal of the day.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 03-20-2012 at 09:35 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
MerissaA
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat. Work PT about 10 hours a week, kids come with me, I have two kids.... honestly I don't get a regular meal or shower. Some moms can get a shower every morning and eat when their kids eat. I guess I am a more frantic, worn thin mom than that, and I shower when I can, eat when I can

I eat a lot of granola, crackers and hummus, fruit, etc. But most of the time dinner is my biggest (or only, somtimes) meal of the day.
Lol I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! This week my goal is to actually TRY to get some food in me during the day. Today did not work out at all. We ended up at 3 different doctors appointments.

My other hard thing is that I have alot of food allergies so I can't just grab easy stuff from the store I have to make everything. I'm going to work on some easy snacky things. Maybe if I can't get in a whole meal I can at least get snacks?
MerissaA is offline   Reply With Quote