Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
donnyandmelissa
Registered Users
seller

Motrin for teething? How often is ok?

We have tried tons of things and what finally worked was motrin. But it doesn't seem okay to give often. Can I give it to him every evening?

Here is what I tried

Amber teething necklace (worked great for like 2 weeks)

Hylands teething tablets ( don't work maybe for like 2 minutes while he is licking the taste off his lips)

Frozen teething rings (work for a little while then he gets mad)

Teething gel stuff (he gets super mad when I tried this)

But giving him motrin creates a QUIET baby (he is 6 months) he is so peaceful. He still nurses ALL night long but at least it is not screaming all evening.

Advertisement

Mommy to Kane 10, Emily 3, Avery 3 months and wife to a AWESOME husband. We're a Cloth diapering, babywearing, extended breastfeeding, extended rear facing, non vaccinating, co sleeping, delaying solids family but most importantly a New testament Christian which means we speak where the bible speaks & are silent where the bible is silent.
donnyandmelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I believe you can give it every six hours, but check the bottle for how many days in a row without consulting a doctor...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Motrin for teething? How often is ok?

I would talk to a doctor before giving constantly, but then we're pretty low on giving actual medication. and really, you said 'every evening' and to that my answer would be yes.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can to avoid the motrin and nothing is helping except that. I think a happy, wellrested child who can sleep is very important.

If you have started solids, you can try something like frozen fruit in a mesh feeder. They sometimes work better than the plastic things because they can really bite into them and mold the fruit to their little jaws.

hopefully these teeth will pop out quickly and you can move on.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
csnow
Registered Users
seller

You could also try Chinese medicine/herbs. Our acupuncturist gave us a children's formula specifically for teething called tender teeth. I give it to my 2yr old son (2 yr molars coming in) before bed and he sleeps a lot better.
csnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Motrin for teething? How often is ok?

Nothing but ibuprofen seems to work for DD. Tylenol would cut out after 4 hrs and she'd wake up around 1am screaming. I only give her ibuprofen before bed and it lasts alll night long. At most, it's 5 consecutive nights.

During the day teething doesn't seem to bother her much, even during naps.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote