Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Users
first trip away for a weekend... need some advice

My in-laws offered to watch my kids so my husband and I can get away for a weekend. We took them up on the offer, but now I'm having second thoughts. The orginal plan was they were going to come up to our hosue and stay, but since we decided to go and stay int he town they live in (3 hours away) they said they would keep the kids at their place.

My duaghter is excited about it and has spent the weekend and nights at my parents house a lot, but never with my husbands parents. For my son who is 14 months (still nurses in the evening and at night) this will be his first time away from us for the night let alone for the weekend.

My kids have never been to their grandparents house, so they will be staying in a strange house on top of all of this (their choice, not mine.) I'm looking forward to spending some time with my husband with out our kids, but am worried and anxious about my son. He nurses 2 sometimes 3 times a night still with no hope of stopping any time soon. I have some milk frozen and plan on pumping some more.

Any advice would be great.

mommy22IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: first trip away for a weekend... need some advice

Make sure to leave him something with your scent on it, so he will feel secure at night. Sleep with a blanket tucked into your shirt for a few nights leading up to your trip, or even give him your pillowcase to sleep with. You may also want to try having your hubby feed him a bottle for one (or more) of his nighttime nursings so he gets used to someone else feeding him before you take the trip. That might help alleviate some of your anxiety! I often think the babies are more resilient than we are!

If you are still deciding whether or not to go, sometimes it helps me to ask "What would I regret more? Going or not going?" That usually points me in the right direction Good luck, mama!
dalaimama1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: first trip away for a weekend... need some advice

It's hard but they'll be fine. I always remind myself that the grandparents actually have more parenting experience than I do and they are pretty much the only people who love my kids close to what I do. If your son needs to be held and rocked all night they will probably do that.

I'd be more worried about the grandparents!

And don't phone to check up. Seriously. Tell them to call if they need anything but don't you call because guaranteed you'll call in the middle of something that is totally average but sounds worse over the phone!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote