Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Best way to spring clean toys?

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I'm thinking of having the kids get out ALL of their toys and bringing them to our formal living room. (large open area, not used much so could be blocked off without interfering with normal house traffic). Then sorting toys with:

Keep
Consider keeping
Yardsale/Donate
Trash (missing parts, etc)

What limit would you put on the keep pile? Obviously, the kids will want to keep most things. Should i offer a reward like a toy store trip for ONE good new toy each or a movie, after we clean it all up/put away/box up? It'd be worth one new toy to get rid of a lot of old ones lol!

Do you have another method?

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best way to spring clean toys?

Perhaps use a box (or two) and make the rule that all of the stuff to keep has to fit in the box. We have special bins for all the toys and once the bins get full, everything else has to go away because it just doesn't fit.

Then consider keeping box/pile can go into storage for a short amount of time. If they ask for a specific toy while it is in storage, they have to trade it out for one that is out already.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really like Melissa's suggestion of the box. Gives them choices to make. Very nice.

For now, with my 3 year old, I just observe her desires and store whatever she isn't interested in. But I love the box idea. Did I already say that?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

We do a similar thing that Melissa suggested.
I purge all toys that I know they don't care about/play with (or that they have outgrown), and put away some of the loved toys (but not loved at the moment) in a plastic storage bin. We rotate those toys out as needed. Any toys that sit in that storage bin for a long time end up getting donated, no questions asked......I don't even run it by the girls because they never miss them.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only problem with asking them to fill the box with the things they want, and them each getting the same size...is that DD has some larger dolls, and DS has like, a million small cars/trucks/plains etc...

plus, when i've tried to do that in the past, they want to get rid of some favorites that i know they would miss (like a lovey that they sleep with each night)...and keep the happy meal toys that lay on the floor.

I may try a variation though, and planned to use some empty storage containers for sorting
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do the black bag trick. When they are not around, I load up what I don't see being used anymore and put it in a black trash bag (black is important so they can't see the contents) & put it in a closet. If they don't ask for it with in 4-6 weeks, the trash bag goes. This has been working out well for about 18 years now.
I've found to ask them, they either want to part with nothing or everything, including things I'd like to hold on to.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote