Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #81
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Gai is a good detergent as well. I think I may now what's happening. To the line 1 is more of amnt that would work well for soft water. If the water is now hard, you may want to play around with that amnt and add to line 1. Then see where you need to go from there. Have you tried that much yet? Your using really good detergents. I'd try to up it by at least 1 line and see how it goes before you try all the more complicated steps.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #82
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Gai is a good detergent as well. I think I may now what's happening. To the line 1 is more of amnt that would work well for soft water. If the water is now hard, you may want to play around with that amnt and add to line 1. Then see where you need to go from there. Have you tried that much yet? Your using really good detergents. I'd try to up it by at least 1 line and see how it goes before you try all the more complicated steps.
OK I will try the Gain when I wash tonight and see. Our water softener keeps breaking and we never really know when its working so I have to add Calgon or the Amaze. I did like the RnG but ds started getting this bumps all along his diaper line on his back so I am afraid to get more but I know it was better smelling with the RnG! I am so frustrated with Tide lately. It would be great if I could just use the liquid since I get it often for our clothes. We go between Tide and Gain and sometimes I get arm & hammer if its on sale.
But the poopy diapers I swear smell like they haven't been washed at all
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #83
NessieO
Registered Users

Lots of great information. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #84
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by american_mommy View Post
OK I will try the Gain when I wash tonight and see. Our water softener keeps breaking and we never really know when its working so I have to add Calgon or the Amaze. I did like the RnG but ds started getting this bumps all along his diaper line on his back so I am afraid to get more but I know it was better smelling with the RnG! I am so frustrated with Tide lately. It would be great if I could just use the liquid since I get it often for our clothes. We go between Tide and Gain and sometimes I get arm & hammer if its on sale.
But the poopy diapers I swear smell like they haven't been washed at all
That's odd. Could it be the washer? I mean, like the filter is clogged or it needs to be cleaned? I'm trying to think of everything. I adore arm and hammer as well! I just get more coupons with sales for the tide. The gain is supposed to be just a more scented version of tide. It's the same company. Are you getting enough suds though? It just sounds like not enough detergent if the softner isn't working, even with the calgon. I know you can use less detergnet with calgon. That stinks you can't see when it's not.

Have you tried working something like the enzyme cleaner I spoke about or bleach to help with the bacteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieO View Post
Lots of great information. Thanks for posting!
Thanks moma!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #85
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Well both kids woke up stinky today. Not as bad (you couldn't smell it unless you were nose to butt or opened the diaper) but still stinky. Luckily not enough to cause a rash! (that's a huge step in the right direction!!) I don't think I used enough of the ammonia remover... I'm going to try that again and maybe a little bleach. I'm glad DS wears undies all day, he gets a chance to air that stink out! I put DD in an econobum cover with just a hemp stay dry doubler to give her skin a break after spending the night in that diaper.

Hopefully one more ammonia remover soak will be enough to get rid of it... but I kinda feel like the ammonia remover is like antibiotics... I'd rather not use it, but it's a last resort to fix the issue, but I still need to get to the base of WHY this is happening and fix THAT so I don't need to make that 'last resort' a regular thing... I see a lot of people that reviewed it using it monthly or even making a solution and spraying every diaper with it... I don't want it to come down to that...

I do think I made a discovery thorough all of this though... I think we have super hard water rather than the neutral water I THOUGHT we had... so maybe my issue is not enough detergent?
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #86
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Well both kids woke up stinky today. Not as bad (you couldn't smell it unless you were nose to butt or opened the diaper) but still stinky. Luckily not enough to cause a rash! (that's a huge step in the right direction!!) I don't think I used enough of the ammonia remover... I'm going to try that again and maybe a little bleach. I'm glad DS wears undies all day, he gets a chance to air that stink out! I put DD in an econobum cover with just a hemp stay dry doubler to give her skin a break after spending the night in that diaper.

Hopefully one more ammonia remover soak will be enough to get rid of it... but I kinda feel like the ammonia remover is like antibiotics... I'd rather not use it, but it's a last resort to fix the issue, but I still need to get to the base of WHY this is happening and fix THAT so I don't need to make that 'last resort' a regular thing... I see a lot of people that reviewed it using it monthly or even making a solution and spraying every diaper with it... I don't want it to come down to that...

I do think I made a discovery thorough all of this though... I think we have super hard water rather than the neutral water I THOUGHT we had... so maybe my issue is not enough detergent?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #87
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post

I probably missed it but what kind of ammonia remover are you using?
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #88
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Top Fin Aquarium Ammonia Remover. It's been tested by a bunch of CD Mamas and gets really good reviews! (Doesn't have to be top fin brand, but it does have to be ONLY ammonia remover, not ammonia, chlorine, nitrates, etc... and the main ingredient needs to be Sodium methanal sulfoxylate)

Here are some links about it's use with CDs:

http://www.clothdiapergeek.com/2012/...magic.html?m=1

http://charsworld.com/2010/06/ammonia-is-gone/

http://community.babycenter.com/post...mmonia_is_gone
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #89
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NOOOOOOO. What the heck!

Yea, try the more detergent for sure!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #90
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

LOL I know right?! It's ridiculous! I don't get it! That was a 48 hour strip! If that doesn't get it, what will?! LOL

I upped the detergent another line, hopefully that helps... Gosh I really wish Purex hadn't switched formulas and our old washer hadn't died! I miss my drama free diapers!