Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #31
anitaaustralasia
Registered Users

Re: Am I crazy......?

Unless you're on a tenure track, go for it! I've found you regret what you haven't done more than what you actually do.

Advertisement

anitaaustralasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #32
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

update? What'd you hear/decide?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
SugarAndSpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went from Nursing to Law Enforcement. I always wanted to be a cop, and my parents didn't approve so I decided to be a nurse. 2 years into that, and I felt the same as you. I felt like a fraud. I didn't want to sit there and hold someone's hand that just got shot, I wanted to be out looking for the person who did it. I didn't want to pump the stomach of an individual that OD'ed, I wanted to get the drug dealer off the street. I just didn't share the same compassion as my collegues (not that I'm not compassionate) or the love of medicine. Quiet frankly, I felt used and walked on by the doctors that I was under. For me, if I'm going to leave my children to work, (regardless of schedule, I'm on call 24/7 now) then I'm going to be darn happy doing whatever it is that I'm doing. It may sound selfish, but I'm a better mom for working. I may be the oddball, but I say go for it. Atleast apply. You're obviously dissatisfied in your current position, and IMHO, when someone doesn't *love* teaching, it eventually shows. I would NEVER go back to my 7am-3pm job over this, but this is what I love doing, so for me, and my sanity, it's worth it.

Last edited by SugarAndSpiceX3; 03-13-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: My bad grammar
SugarAndSpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #34
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle19 View Post
update? What'd you hear/decide?
Haven't heard anything yet!!!! During the interview they asked when I would be able to start. I was very honest and said that I could not, in good faith, leave in the middle of the semester and they seemed completely okay with that. Given the freedom in my teaching schedule, they even mentioned possibly having me come in for a few hours each week to start to train.

A month after the interview I sent an email to the HR guy inquiring about my application status. He quickly responded saying that they were still interviewing. Didn't say that I was out of the running but didn't say anything to indicate that I was close to getting it.

Now that I am expecting (total surprise!) I am making plans based on my current job--so I don't know if I would even be up for taking it. I don't know that it is my "dream job," like JessiIce. (Still curious what her perfect-fit job is!) I was just willing to go out there and try something different and possibly earn more money. It would be a big decision to start a new job with no sick/vacation time built up to be able to take off when the baby comes.

So that's the update.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSpiceX3 View Post
I went from Nursing to Law Enforcement. I always wanted to be a cop, and my parents didn't approve so I decided to be a nurse. 2 years into that, and I felt the same as you. I felt like a fraud. I didn't want to sit there and hold someone's hand that just got shot, I wanted to be out looking for the person who did it. I didn't want to pump the stomach of an individual that OD'ed, I wanted to get the drug dealer off the street. I just didn't share the same compassion as my collegues (not that I'm not compassionate) or the love of medicine. Quiet frankly, I felt used and walked on by the doctors that I was under. For me, if I'm going to leave my children to work, (regardless of schedule, I'm on call 24/7 now) then I'm going to be darn happy doing whatever it is that I'm doing. It may sound selfish, but I'm a better mom for working. I may be the oddball, but I say go for it. Atleast apply. You're obviously dissatisfied in your current position, and IMHO, when someone doesn't *love* teaching, it eventually shows. I would NEVER go back to my 7am-3pm job over this, but this is what I love doing, so for me, and my sanity, it's worth it.
How cool!!! I'm glad you finally were able to transition into what really makes you happy. That is priceless IMHO. I agree, that if you are going to be away from your children for several hours a day, then you should be doing something you really enjoy or love. I too am a better mom for working--it's just trying to find that good fit that is the challenge now.

See, I hear stories like this all the time. Some people may not get it right the first go 'round, but they have some deep down feeling of, "I've always wanted to _________________." And they eventually go out and do it. Part of the problem is I don't have that. There is nothing, even going back to my childhood, that I can recall I've always wanted to do. If there were, I'd be doing it, going back to school for it, learning about it, something! So here I am just trying to figure it out.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For anyone who was keeping up with this thread, I didn't get the job. :-(

Back to square one.