Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rant about competitive parenting

Okay so there's a boy at my tot group who's got the same birth date as my Izzy. Today the Mama was lamenting that she had to upgrade her 4.5 month old into the big kid carseat because he was too heavy and too tall for the infant bucket. It really ticked me off because I know for a fact that he's nowhere near as tall or as heavy as she tells everyone that he is. Don't get me wrong, he's a healthy sized kid and certainly larger than my Izzy.

Why does this Mama feel the need to exaggerate her son's growth? Why do we feel the need to compete with eachother over how our babies are growing and developing (we all do it!)? AND, why does it bug me?????

I think I'm feeling a little jealous that her boy is bigger than my girlie. I also think I'm feeling guilty that I'm back to work now and my girl is losing weight from staging a hunger strike while I'm at work. But, I also think that aliens implant some sort of competitive "chip" in our bodies after we have children. Ha ha ha

WTG if you survived my rant and got this far. Why do you think we Mamas feel like we have to compete?

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant about competitive parenting

No advice on the competition, but just enjoy your petite little one! I've always liked having the "small child." I get to hold her longer, and she can wear cuter clothes for longer! Just savor it, and know you're secretly better than her, JK!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know why, but it definitely is true. Even on things like weight and height that totally don't mean anything, it makes no sense! You're a great mama, don't let that other mama get you down!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to say that I'm guilty of comparing, but only in my mind. I'm not sure of the need to compare, but I do know that the need to be first/best is what drives some people to have 4.0 in school and to win at the sports they play. I hate to say it but it is natural.

It sounds to me like this mamma just needs to be the center of attention and she has found a way to do that in your play group with her son. Maybe next time you just *happen* to have a measuring tape with you and say, "I just cannot believe your son is that tall," pretend to be looking for something in your purse, "oh, look what I found."
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

It is silly and pointless IMO , but the best thing I have come up with for why it happens so much is because they think if my kids are doing better then that means I am a better parent , I am doing a good if not better job and am not failing as a parent . I donno , but thats just the best reason I can think of

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

i so feel your pain on this one mama

we have one very, very competetive mom in our playgroup, and she makes us all nuts. some of the things she finds to compete over...we're all just left to .

and i wouldn't worry at all about the size thing, that mom looks ridiculous, and your daughter looks adorable
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote