Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Elevated BP at 40+weeks appt

Any tips to getting my blood pressure down while pregnant?? I'm 40 weeks 2 days pregnant, went in today for an OB check and my BP was about 137/87. Not horrible, but not great. Had to have an NST on the baby, which they said was fantastic. I don't feel bad, have very little swelling in my ankles/legs (most of which I attribute to the heat), and no protein in urine, etc. They let me go, said it could be a fluke, but want me back on Friday to check again. Oh, and no dilation what so ever; high and tight. :/ I was 10 days late w/ my second (my VBAC) and I'm so scared that if I don't get my BP back to normal by Friday they may try to induce me. Is there anything I can do????

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Elevated BP at 40+weeks appt

Stop worrying! That will raise it more. Lay on your left side as much as possible, that will bring it down.

How was your bp during the NST?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Dp

Last edited by jessicalev8; 03-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.
jessicalev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine was very slightly elevated at 38+2, so they sent me for the NST, then home with instructions to drink lots of water and lay on my left side as much as possible. It did seem to help it, since I went into labor later than night and my bp was perfect when I got there.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

all the suggestions given above (left side, water) and watch sodium intake. Honestly unless your doc is induction happy, with no other symptoms (and a relatively "low" high BP) that won't induce. My last practice my BP would jump all around and up into the 170s (went higher during labor) but they never made me induce. (But I was induced, but thats because I cried about my husband possibly missing the birth)
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you know of anything that relaxes you? I had high blood pressure for a few weeks in my pregnancy and started painting (not well, but for fun) and that accompanied with seeing a friend for a few hours really lowered my blood pressure. I was fine at my next appointment and all through delivery. I think the bedrest (for preterm labor) had made me totally stressed, plus I probably wasn't eating very well as dh was working tons.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8 View Post
Stop worrying! That will raise it more. Lay on your left side as much as possible, that will bring it down.

How was your bp during the NST?
I know, I think that's really what happened b/c they took it after the NST and it was 139/88!!

I'm going to try to drink lots of water, stay on my left, take some of my natural mama calm (magnesium supplement) and hope for the best come Friday!!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
averysmom
Registered Users

Also, up your protein intake. If I notice my b/p rising I try to eat a little extra and it usually brings it down. Plus everything that was listed above!!
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote