Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #91
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

If this stuff doesn't work, try the kids n pets stuff. Then give the bleach a shot. Just don't soak with the bleach, kwim. That could for sure cause dammage. Add it to the dispencer or main wash. I use 1/4 cup every wash, But to be honest I would use a little more this time. Or 2 washes with 1/4 cup.

This is such a bummer!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #92
NessieO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
Well both kids woke up stinky today. Not as bad (you couldn't smell it unless you were nose to butt or opened the diaper) but still stinky. Luckily not enough to cause a rash! (that's a huge step in the right direction!!) I don't think I used enough of the ammonia remover... I'm going to try that again and maybe a little bleach. I'm glad DS wears undies all day, he gets a chance to air that stink out! I put DD in an econobum cover with just a hemp stay dry doubler to give her skin a break after spending the night in that diaper.

Hopefully one more ammonia remover soak will be enough to get rid of it... but I kinda feel like the ammonia remover is like antibiotics... I'd rather not use it, but it's a last resort to fix the issue, but I still need to get to the base of WHY this is happening and fix THAT so I don't need to make that 'last resort' a regular thing... I see a lot of people that reviewed it using it monthly or even making a solution and spraying every diaper with it... I don't want it to come down to that...

I do think I made a discovery thorough all of this though... I think we have super hard water rather than the neutral water I THOUGHT we had... so maybe my issue is not enough detergent?
I think some ammonia smell is normal. If your child pees early in the night, then you'll have some ammonia smell in the morning because some of the urine had enough time to get converted to ammonia.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #93
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Thanks Sarah, I will try that if this doesn't work for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieO View Post
I think some ammonia smell is normal. If your child pees early in the night, then you'll have some ammonia smell in the morning because some of the urine had enough time to get converted to ammonia.
Yeah, I know some ammonia smell is normal, but this is still pretty strong ammonia, enough that DS was complaining that it hurt him, he was a little pink, but nothing like the peeling blistering rashes it has been giving them... and you can smell the pail from way down the hall without them spending any time sitting in there.
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #94
NessieO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
Yeah, I know some ammonia smell is normal, but this is still pretty strong ammonia, enough that DS was complaining that it hurt him, he was a little pink, but nothing like the peeling blistering rashes it has been giving them... and you can smell the pail from way down the hall without them spending any time sitting in there.
Oh I see. Sorry, I guess missed that part. He definitely shouldn't be in pain after a night in the diaper. Poor little guy
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #95
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Well this was just a "Ow, it hurts, take it off" after being up and walking around to get to us and ask for his morning milk LOL... Much better than the other day when he woke up screaming and crying because it burnt so bad. so I consider this a mini-success. We're heading in the right direction!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #96
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add that I think FL'ers need a lot of TIME to thoroughly wash diapers. I always use the extended/heavy cycle that takes over 2 hours. I just don't think a FL can get poop and pee diapers clean in 40 minutes.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #97
NessieO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf View Post
I just wanted to add that I think FL'ers need a lot of TIME to thoroughly wash diapers. I always use the extended/heavy cycle that takes over 2 hours. I just don't think a FL can get poop and pee diapers clean in 40 minutes.
That's what I do now. I've definitely seen an improvement since switching to the longer cycle.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #98
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Yeah, ours is a TL, but basically a FL turned up, LOL. But I do 3 full loads, takes half a day, every other day, and sometimes I add a couple extra rinses... I'm thinking I just wasn't using enough detergent because my test said we had neutral water, but I think it's really hard water... The test was pretty old and unreliable (dip strip, but all I had left)... blah...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #99
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How did they turn out momas?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #100
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

I have figured out that it did clear up our daytime diapers perfectly! Just the night time ones that we have issues with... We used sposies for nights recently, but I did another ammonia soak with a little more ammonia remover, so we'll try it again tonight and see how it goes...

I also FINALLY figured out how to trick my washer! I realized it is not even covering the diapers with water! How is that supposed to clean?! I have to start the load up as I normally would, stand there and listen to it sense, fill, and begin to agitate, then pause the load, open it, close it, press the water plus option, and then start it back up again! It's a pain and I have to hover over the washer for 15 minutes, but it actually puts in enough water to get them clean now! I think this might be a breakthrough!