Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #51
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2evie View Post
Fundal pressure is a huge no no in the hospital setting, risk of uterine rupture. But I guess at a home birth theres no choice.

That's interesting. With my second I had two nurse on top of me pressing above my pelvis. Literally jumping on top of me, and the doctor was yelling for more help, I was in the zone not realizing what was going on until i heard her say, xwe need more nurses" and then i panicked and asked what was wrong and everyone was like "just dont stop pushing" and then my beautiful baby girl made her way into the world,but she didnt cry, and I panicked again until they laid her on my chest. She never did cry until the took her from me 15 mins later.

A pedi came in to asess for broken bones, and she had a lot of bruising on her head, and stork bites but no coning. I was confused at first about why the concerns for broken bones, and my husband was like, you didn't realive two nurses standing on stools practically jumping on top of you? Then I vaguely remembered pain in the area and small flash memories.

Advertisement

Last edited by champatlife; 03-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #52
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

I pushed for about 5 hours, in a hospital, before my daughter was born. But she had torticollis, so she was basically stuck most of that time. They spent a good hour trying to turn her head inside the birth canal when I had no pain meds. Talk about horrific! I got an epidural about 3 hours into pushing (and 25 hours into active labor), and pushed another hour before they gave me the option of vacuum or c-section. I went with vacuum and she was born an hour later.

Admittedly I was pushing before I was 10cm, which only made everything worse. I know lots of women can control pushing, but mine was completely involuntary. I can only liken it to throwing up. There was no possible way I could stop it, as much as they begged me to try, which is one of the big reasons they encouraged me to finally get an epidural. The epidural did the trick and stopped the involuntary pushing.

ETA: Baby #2 was out with probably 10 minutes tops of pushing. Such a wonderful change!

Last edited by Janine; 03-27-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #53
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
That's interesting. With my second I had two nurse on top of me pressing above my pelvis. Literally jumping on top of me, and the doctor was yelling for more help, I was in the zone not realizing what was going on until i heard her say, xwe need more nurses" and then i panicked and asked what was wrong and everyone was like "just dont stop pushing" and then my beautiful baby girl made her way into the world,but she didnt cry, and I panicked again until they laid her on my chest. She never did cry until the took her from me 15 mins later.

A pedi came in to asess for broken bones, and she had a lot of bruising on her head, and stork bites but no coning. I was confused at first about why the concerns for broken bones, and my husband was like, you didn't realive two nurses standing on stools practically jumping on top of you? Then I vaguely remembered pain in the area and small flash memories.
I don't think pushing to get baby under pelvis is necessarily the same as fundamental pressure, someone correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you had shoulder dystocia, my first 2 had very similar things. Atfter the gaskin maneuver failed they flopped me over and used the pelvic pressure to try and unwedge them. I didn't remember after my first birth either until i started looking back, i think i had blacked it out because if was really terrifying.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #54
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife

Fundal pressure and supra pubic pressure are two totally different things! Supra pubic pressure is used to get the shoulders through the pelvis in a shoulder dystocia.

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelDM View Post
Fundal pressure and supra pubic pressure are two totally different things! Supra pubic pressure is used to get the shoulders through the pelvis in a shoulder dystocia.
yeah I did some major googling in the past 24 hours. Good to know. hahaha, but now I'm petrified of labor from all the googling.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #56
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cannot imagine pushing for 10 hours. I had to push for a little under an hour with my youngest and it was like hell on Earth. To be honest, by the end of it I just laid there and sobbed like a little frickin' baby and cried out to God.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #57
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

You may want to read this story: http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2010...ed-t-cesarean/

She was 10 cm dilated for 20 hours with an intact bag of waters. Even more interesting is how long the placenta took to come out. Her story is especially interesting in that she had had a inverted t incision with her firstborn and she was attempting a VBAC. She was in South Korea (we were there the same time except I chose to return to the US--we were actually due the same day though I never met her, just met her doula) and had both a midwife and an OB who had recently started doing homebirths.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #58
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I don't know how you handled that! You're like superwoman! My first was in a hospital and I think I maybe pushed for an hour. It was exhausting!! Any longer and the hospital I was at would have tried to strong-arm me into a c/s.

The rest of my babies were born unassisted at home; two came out via "fetal ejection reflex" where I just kinda breathed them out (took just a few minutes) and the other I actually pushed, but it was still only 7 minutes. That 7 minutes, though...wow, I was beat. Seriously.

Thinking about the fetal ejection reflex, I'm wondering if you ever experienced that during your birth. Not just an "urge to push", but a diarrhea-like expulsion of baby (yes, sounds gross, but it's also completely accurate in describing the sensation ). Some woman can be fully dilated for hours or even days before their bodies are actually ready for pushing. Maybe that was the case here, where it took your body a while to realize, "oh, we're doing this now?"

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #59
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
You may want to read this story: http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2010...ed-t-cesarean/

She was 10 cm dilated for 20 hours with an intact bag of waters. Even more interesting is how long the placenta took to come out. Her story is especially interesting in that she had had a inverted t incision with her firstborn and she was attempting a VBAC. She was in South Korea (we were there the same time except I chose to return to the US--we were actually due the same day though I never met her, just met her doula) and had both a midwife and an OB who had recently started doing homebirths.
Wow! What an amazing story.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #60
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Wow! What an amazing story.
I know! I remember reading it and being VERY glad that my little one came out in less than two pushes. Was sort of grateful then for the 2, almost 3 days of horrible back labor. That I could do at home, don't think my hospital would have been okay with me going 20 hours at 10 cm!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote