Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need some outside advice about co-sleeping

DS has always slept in our room. Almost always in his crib right next to our bed, but once and a while when he's sick or just having a rough night, in bed with me (with DF either on the road or he'll sleep on the couch if he's home). We lived in a house when he was born but lost it just weeks after he was born and moved into a single bedroom apartment, where we still live. We were hoping to rent a house in the next couple months but a two bedroom apartment opened up in our building and we're in line for it. So DF wants to stay
We'll have 2 bedrooms, so obviously one will be DS's, but I don't know that I want him to sleep in there yet. I want him to have his own space for his toys and everything, but I think (especially with DF back to driving semi and being gone 2 weeks at a time) I'd rather keep DS's crib in our room until he's at least 2. DF wants DS in his own room when we move upstairs though. So I need some outside advice. What's a good age to move a toddler to his/her own room. He is still in a crib and can't get out yet, so I'm not worried about safety, but he always acts scared at night, so I hate to just leave him alone so young.

Please help!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some outside advice about co-sleeping

If it were me, I'd keep him in the room. But it would be an easy decision, because even though we have a room for DD, DH and I both want her in our room. We plan to keep her with us until she is clearly ready to go on her own.

That said, obviously your DF's feelings have to be taken into consideration. Sorry mama, I'm not sure how to approach that.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Why does he want him in his own room? Does he have any reasons?

Just trying to understand
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
We moved our daughter into her room when she was 3, only because we had a newborn and they were bugging each other in the close quarters of our bedroom. We will soon be moving into a new house with two upstairs spaces that are 300 square feet each. One will be a family bedroom and one will be an informal living room. Obviously we could have done it differently, but no. We are very excited to go back to being in the same space. We think the closeness is good for us.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

You'll have to work that out with your husband. There is no "good age". You have to do what is right for your family. My daughter is 2 and still sleeps in our room in her toddler bed. We just prefer it that way. I sleep better knowing she is right there but then also I lose sleep when she wakes up at night and rustles around or crawls into our bed. However, as far as understanding goes, she would understand if we put her in her own room...she would understand the word no and that she can't get out of her bed and come into our room. In her heart though, she is still too young to fully understand any other reasons like mommy and daddy need alone time or daddy prefers you to be in your own room. Does that make sense?
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm just about positive that if I tell DF I'd be move comfortable with him being gone so much having DS in our room still, he'd be ok with it. I just didn't want to tell him "this is how it is" without getting some other opinions first I don't know if he has a "good" reason for wanting DS in his own room, other than we'll have 2 rooms so we might as well... I like hearing that other mama's feel more comfortable having their LO's close by though too! I'll talk to DF some more.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
cbreeding
Registered Users

The right age is determinant on you little one and what works for your family. My only real advice is to limit how many big changes happen at a time. a new home, a new room, and sleeping away from mommy all at the same time might be very overwhelming and scary for your little one.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
psylion
Registered Users
seller

My DD moved to her own room when she moved into her crib, which was when she started crawling. If she ended something she would cry and I would come and get her. When she started trying to climb into her crib we took off the side and put a stool so she could climb in and out safely. At that point she would usually just come into our bed if she needed us. She did absolutely fine and I think we both slept better. You toddler is definitely not going to grow up to be some kind of tortured series killer because he slept in his own room.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From a former co-sleeper that is now divorced I would put out there that I think a strong relationship with your sig other is the most important. If having ds in your room would create a significant problem between the two of you then I would reconsider. Luckily it sounds like your df is quite understanding.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds it's 26 months and is sleeping next to me right now we don't have any plans to put him in hits own room anytime soon but we do plan to rendition him to a toddler bed next to our bed in the next few months

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote