Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Re: my toddler is unbearable

My 22 month old is kind of in a stage like that. She was throwing tantrums over EVERYTHING. We wouldn't let her DRINK (not just taste, but put the bottle to her mouth and gulp down) soy sauce. She screamed and threw her dinner all over. At another meal we were having penne pasta (tubes). She wanted to put her finger in a piece, but the pasta was too narrow and kept splitting open when she stuck in her finger. You would have thought the world was going to end! Just the most odd things would send her into complete melt down-on the floor kicking, screaming, and biting anything near (she even bit her own foot?! ) She seems to have mellowed out after a couple weeks of this and I hope it doesn't come back. I try to stay nearby to provide comfort if needed, but ignore her for the most part so that she can work through it.

Advertisement

weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #12
benjason
Registered Users
seller

My 18 month old recently started this behavior as well. Hoping to get some info from this thread on how to deal with it.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysia101 View Post
What do yo ufeed them. Allie refuses anything but crackers. I don't knwo what to do. Even foods she used to love. I don't want to give in all the time but she has to eat something. Today she had a little dry cereal and 1/2 a mini bagel and 3 grapes. That's it.
first thank you op - I think we have the same child and its really really hard.
I have a temper and I find myself sticking her in her crib so I can calm down. I always feel like a horrible mother for loosing my cool

As far as what we feed her, well, dd only eats every other day or so. Some days, she eats EVERYTHING in front of her and more. Others pretty much nothing. My rule is every few days, I serve something new or I know she doesn’t like. It must touch her lips. (ie, taste) she doesn’t need to eat it, but it needs to touch her lips. Sometimes, she decides she likes it. (Esp if dh offers it to her)

Hang in there- and keep posting so we all know we’re normal too :-)

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama. We have days like that too. Our hardest are trying to leave the house and go to a place that has toys, like Target. He is so big and strong that I really have to wait for the fit to pass because I can't control him. I like the idea of ending the meal. Food throwing just stared here this week, so I'm going to try that for a few days.. Calm works for our son as does walking away to another room.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #15
Braggarmywife28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know what really gets to me though?When we're in pblic and my 22 month old starts the tantrum thing..and other people look at me or her in total disgust and shake their heads!Like yesterday my hubby had a doc appt that we went with him to.Well the wait was especially long(hour and a half) so by an hour my dd was DONE..just like fallling on the ground screaming this n that..well this one lady looked at her and was shaking her head whispering to another lady and looking at me like i was the worst parent she had ever seen.I'm 37 weeks pg and was tired and hubgry so i really couldn't help myself when i said*Can i help you maam?You must not have children* to which she replied *Well yes i do have children* she said it all kinds of snotty.So i said*well then you should understand*...i mean..if i see a child have aq breakdown and the mother looking overwhelmed the LAST thing i'd want to do is make her feel worse..kwim?Gah!Ok
Braggarmywife28 is offline   Reply With Quote