Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Protein shake ideas for a sick 8yo

My 8yo dd was vomiting yesterday from about 3pm to about 1am pretty consistently about every 1/2 hour. She hasn't today but still isn't feeling well. My concern is that I can't get her to take a bite of anything at all...not a thing sounds good to her. Normally, not a problem but about 3 weeks ago she lost weight when she was sick with a fever and flu-like symptoms for about 5 days. She couldn't afford to lose any weight to begin with.

Can you give me any suggestions of something Ensure-like (I don't like how much sugar is in those) I could tempt her with, preferably homemade since I can't leave the house? DH can stop at the store on the way home but our local health food store is not so close.

Advertisement

Last edited by geez0pete; 03-28-2012 at 12:27 PM.
geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure if milk is good for post illness but I give my diabetic 4 yo the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. He is currently on that beige diet preschoolers love so much. You may get better answers from the anti-SF Mamas here but I didn't want to read & not post. Good luck
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Protein shake ideas for a sick 8yo

I don't know if it would help much, but I make fruit smoothies for breakfast and use peanut butter to get some protein. My mom uses cottage cheese in her smoothies for protein and she says you can't even tell that's what it is. Maybe that would work?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
4littlenorskes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Clear liquids are best until the body is ready to handle anything more and it will usually tell you...either by a craving or just feeling hungry. If you have soy or rice milk and blend with a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter and some ice...it's worth a shot but I wouldn't push it as her body may not be ready yet.

Last edited by 4littlenorskes; 03-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.
4littlenorskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just leave her be. Is she drinking anything? Do you know the signs of dehydration? When was the last time she vomited? The reason I ask is because proteins can be more difficult to digest and she may not be ready yet.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually start with giving my kids a little chicken broth in a cup and let them drink with a straw and some crackers or toast. Once they can stomach that, I move to applesauce, bananas and then I will make them chicken and rice or something bland that can easily stay down. Maybe tomorrow she could handle a smoothie. I use yogurt, milk, frozen fruit and peanut butter, but salty foods usually stay down better than sweet.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

My DD loves carnation instant breakfast added to milk, but if she is just recovering from that much vomiting, I would stay away from milk products. I always find that toast and 7up are a good way to get back into the eating/drinking world. I wouldn't worry about watching sugar or anything -- she needs whatever she can hold down. Bananas and applesauce are another good suggestion.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the suggestions, all great. She's no longer vomiting but she's been having waves of stomach cramps. She has a history of stomach issues so I'm not sure if this is related. This may have a 24 hour bug but my gut is telling me that I need to push harder for more testing. I'm going to start a food journal today and see if that can help us pinpoint something.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids tend to have the vomiting for a day or so and then it's followed by painful, gassy diarreah. This may be what she's dealing with now. I just have to go slow and easy with the food and encourage them to lay on their left side to help the pain.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Food journal is a great idea. I agree with the pps. Just keep her diet easy until she is feeling better. Once she is 100% you can try to get nutrients back into her.