Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Suggestions for rash from swimming pool

My boys have swimming lessons every week. My 7 year old has always been sensitive to chlorine but since we started showering at the Y right after lessons this has been better. Now he is still sometimes getting a rash anyhow. Its looks just like any dermatitis and itches.

Any suggestions on prevention or treatment? Would a swim shirt protect him at all? Its mainly on his trunk and upper arms that he gets itchy.

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Suggestions for rash from swimming pool

Usually a rash from a swimming pool is from inadequate chlorine. I cannot remember the name of it, but it is specific to pools. You are probably washing off the bacteria with the showers. You can get free test strips from the CDC to check your pools level.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My niece got this, and she would come in, and shower with Dial Soap that for some reason kept her from getting the rash. But, Dial Soap was the only thing that worked.

She also used a really thick lotion after she dried off, It was in a white bottle, with a dark blue cap. It's expensive, but not horrible. (Maybe $7)
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think the rash guard would help. If anything, it could make it worse by keeping the water right next to his skin even when the upper part of his body is out of the water.

Washing well with a soap that removes chlorine right after you get out is going to be the best thing you can do. My sister is actually allergic to chlorine and would get the weirdest rash from where the water touched the longest - right under her hairline and then down her neck. It followed the path of the water dripping from her ponytail.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did a little reading and it could be either an allergic type reaction to the chlorine or a bacteria from the pool. his does get better from allergy cream so I tend to think its that but I kinda hope its from the pool instead.

I will try dial soap. We have been using the soap they have in the shower for us. I have some Eucerin cream so I will coat him up with that too. Maybe if I coated his skin with lotion the day before it would help some too.

Thanks ladies
Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wonder if you could put a super light layer of some kind of skin protectant like Aquafor on before swimming to keep the water off of his skin. Not enough to make him shiny and slippery, but just a super thin layer. Maybe that could help?