Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
They understand what the 'whole' food tastes like. Their is a difference between purée and a food in its whole state.

They are in complete control of how much and the speed in which they eat.

They are more of a big person feeding themselves......what a confidence boost!

They are occupied eating while you are.

It is easier!!!!!

For my last 2 I never purchased 1 jar of baby food. I started them in solids when they were between 8-10months. They were only breast fed until then.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Baby led weaning

I did jarred food with my 1st, homemade purees with 2nd (who moved very quickly to real food), and then just skipped purees with my 3rd and handed him bits and pieces of what we were eating.

Of the 3, my BLW kid has the least issues with textures even though he seemed more sensitive when he first started solids. He also eats more slowly and chews more thoroughly-not sure if it's related though.

He also really liked being able to take things at his own pace.

And you can spend more time with the baby and less time fooling with food that may not really be needed. Really, solids are just experimental and learning/practice for when they really ARE needed for actual nutrition later. Most cultures have historically practiced BLW as well. It has to be pretty good considering how many of us there are on this planet now.
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Registered Users

the only purees we do is yogurt and applesauce. I don't see the need for them. DS started eating solids a bit before 8 months on his own. he immediately ate everything we did...
Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #14

thanks for all the great replies! we are going to do baby led weaning. i didn't think about the taste and texture difference, and the independence he could develop from feeding himself. it wouldn't be any different because i EP right?
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote