Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
he only nurses for comfort now...

DS just turned 1! YEAH! We made it a year!! However, he has really cut back on his nursing sessions. Yes, part of it is my taking advantage of his being too busy to nurse and doing a "don't offer, don't refuse" approach. I'm just kind of ready to be done. He still nurses quite a bit at night, and I do offer before a nap. Other times, he does the "drive by" nursings but is off and gone before a let down will come. So, obviously my supply has really tanked.

Last night he was up at 10pm but I was able to rock him back to sleep. He was up again at 11:30 and I was already in bed, so I was too tired to try and rock him. I tried getting in bed and cuddling without nursing but he would NOT have it. I gave in and nursed and it seemed there was lots of comfort nursing but not much actual taking in of milk. He was off and on all night and often will nurse a bit then roll over and go to sleep.

Today, I tried nursing him before a nap. He was playing, so I put him in his crib. He played a bit but then started fussing. I went to get him and nurse him and in 30 seconds, he was asleep. He just needed a few little sucks on mama. There was no let down, no drinking or swallowing.

I realize many might not care and be happy with this type of situation, but for me, personally, I just don't want to be the human pacifier anymore.

I've read the Dr. Jay Gordon night weaning article and it sounds great, but then I am SO tired and I hate to hear him protest! I just don't know how to go about weaning him when he probably isn't really ready, but yet it seems like he just isn't taking much milk anymore. (maybe he's getting more than I realize, but it just doesn't seem like it).

I probably should put this in weaning support, but it seems that board is a little slow. Any tips or advice on this would be great! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: he only nurses for comfort now...

Let me know if you find out, because I'm too sleep deprived with DD2 waking 2-3 times a night to do much more than be a human pacifier. Our plan is first to wean her off nursing, fortunately DH will help by being the one to put her back to sleep when she wakes, then to try and figure out a way to reduce the night waking...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote