Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Hey you nap time and sleep experts help

I am reading the no cry sleep solution looking to work through some sleep issues but right now I am trying to create a sleep schedule DS is 15 months old.

I am wondering about naps, he need supposedly 2.5 hours a day, so 2 1h 15 min naps. Do you wake baby up to control naps?

How do you space them? And make sure the secodn nap is not to late to affect sleep?

What if baby will not sleep the full recommended time at night?

What does your day look like.

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hey you nap time and sleep experts help

My 15 month old take 1 2-2.5 hour nap. I know other people who still take 2. We followed her cues, and she didn't want a morning nap. Here is what it looks like:

Wake up at 7. Nap between 11:30-12:30, depending on when she gets droopy. Sleeps til 2-3, bedtime at 7:30-8 depending on how late she woke. She usually still wakes 2-3 times a night.

When we were still doing 2 naps, it was more like one nap around 10 am for about 1.5 hours, and 1 nap around 2 pm for about 1.5 hours.

I don't wake the baby unless they are going really long (more than 3 hours), and they aren't sick. Sometimes they are just more tired. Sometimes DD only naps for an hour, but then she wants to go to bed a little early.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

W is 23 months. He sleeps at night from about 8 pm to 7 am. He has one nap, usually from around 1:30 to 3. If he's sick or over tired, he'll also have a morning nap starting around 9:30. Sometimes the morning "nap" is just quiet time in his crib. He plays and sings and rests - it really seems to help him.

I don't wake him from naps, but I know daycare does because she has to get him ready to go home.

If he has trouble falling asleep it's usually because he's overtired. He might need some extra cuddles or reading books to help him settle down.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Never wake a sleeping baby!!

No, I never woke her up from her naps in an attempt to get her to nap later. She was at 1 nap by then and most children will drop to 1 nap between 15&18months old.

DD is just now 18months. She goes down at 8pm and sleeps until 7am. She then naps at 1 for either 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour or two hours. When I go get her, she usually naps another 15-20minutes on me in the rocker.

I would never try to schedule sleep according to a book. Those may be recommendations, but they will not work for every kid or every family.

For a child that's not yet sleeping the entire night at 15months, I guess it depends on what they want when they wake. If they're waking up to nurse or feed, then it's a personal decision to night wean or not. If its nursing, then choose nights when dad can go soothe him back to sleep. If its a bottle feeding, either parent can try to soothe them down without offering the bottle.

But night weaning is not necessary unless it's something you want to do.

If he's waking up to play in the middle of the night, just let him - he'll eventually fall back asleep and you can be certain that he's in a safe environment and go back to sleep yourself.

HTH
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

He os wanting to nurse but not just for eating he wants to sleep on the boob.

We cosleep he thinks his crib is satan incarnate even in our room.

I do nurse him but as soon as he drops he screams non stop, if we try to get him to sleep without a boob he screams non stop.

I am worried, how I will do this with a newbie as well, I am worried they will just wake each other up all night long and he will not be consoled by daddy, so if I care for new baby he will freak out.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hmm.. Well that is a hard one. Hopefully someone with cosleeping experience will chime in.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've read several sleep books, and No-Cry is my FAVORITE by far! My kids (2.5 years and 15 mo) both take 1 two-ish hour nap from about 1-3. When my oldest was 15 mo, though, she took two naps from about 10:30-12 and 3-4:30. Bedtime is about 8 here.

As for what to do when you have two kids, if at all possible, I'd try to get the older one on a pattern you like before the new baby comes. I'm working on that now with my two so that they are already used to the rhythm when the baby comes. I don't know if you are opposed to any crying, but for my kids we have occasionally let them cry a little bit as they're learning to make the transition. IMO checking in on them every couple of minutes or having daddy sit with them is VERY different than CIO, which I'm not a fan of either. As long as I feel they know they are cared for, I try not to let it bother me that a little bit of crying is sometimes inevitable. I hope this helps and I'm not stepping on any toes here! You've got to do what you as the parent feel is best.