Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: my DOG doesn't even STTN!!

Ahh, you just can't win when you have kids. Everyone's got an opinion.

DD has been STTN since she was 3 days old, I've had way.too.many people yell at me for not waking her up to feed her. I even had a complete stranger tell me that there was probably something wrong with her.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get why people are so focused on it either, maybe because it's one of those "milestones." I haven't slept through the night for as long as I can remember, even back when I was a teenager. I'm a light sleeper so little things wake me up, or I get thirsty, etc. It used to freak us out that DD wanted to sleep through the night from the time she was born! We did all kinds of awful things to wake her up and keep her awake for feedings when she was a newbie. Of course, now she's a toddler and showing signs of being like me, she wakes up at least once a night probably 5-6 nights a week. No biggie, I would have been up anyway. She goes right back to sleep after I go check on her.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I wish my kid would sttn. Hr was only waking up once a night and pigging out then passing out for 3 more hours... But after moving across the country twice, sleeping in a different room or house every week, and teething and colds.... I wonder if he ever will... People feel bad for me... I feel bad for me. He never sleeps for 2 consecutive hours and I'm exhausted... I would be over the moon if he would do even that fake 5 hour definition of sttn. Most people don't have to ask me... They can tell by my zombie appearance and constant napping through the day.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Surprisingly I have not been asked that and ds is 8 mos

Last edited by BabyCentric; 03-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.
BabyCentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate those questions.

I don't STTN. Neither of our dogs STTN (they get up to drink). The only one who actually STTN is ds1, and maybe he doesn't actually STTN, but he doesn't get up for me to notice he's awake.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
seacat
Registered Users
seller

ROFL! This is my new line when people ask me if my three month old STTN. My two year old only started STTN when we brought DS2 home because he gave up hope that I'd ever come into his bedroom alone again. DH does not sleep through the night, neither do our dogs. I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night. I don't really get up but rather roll over. I have no idea how often he eats at night I'm just thankful he's there to feed.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Every time anyone asked me that question, I would respond with, "no she doesn't sttn and I wouldn't want her to at such a young age." if they wanted me to elaborate I would tell them about how babies shouldn't go into such a deep sleep because of SIDS and that not STTN is better for babies because they need to eat during the night. Then that starts a discussion on cosleeping, breastfeeding, ya da ya da. Sometimes they just change the subject and other times I get to share some awesome info.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Every time anyone asked me that question, I would respond with, "no she doesn't sttn and I wouldn't want her to at such a young age." if they wanted me to elaborate I would tell them about how babies shouldn't go into such a deep sleep because of SIDS and that not STTN is better for babies because they need to eat during the night. Then that starts a discussion on cosleeping, breastfeeding, ya da ya da. Sometimes they just change the subject and other times I get to share some awesome info.
LOVE this answer! I think i'll start to use it, perhaps causing my CIO-parenting buddies to research and maybe think again!

Catherine Grace (6)
John Gabriel (4)
Laura Josephine (1)
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi
I think that question might also be from a parent looking for a common topic to chat about, because honestly, sleep is a big topic in the first year. Maybe I'm being too generous or naive, but I hope people would ask that out of genuine curiosity/concern and not as a way to talk about how brilliant their child is.

I know that my own child did not sttn for a year, so I often chatted to other new parents to either make conversation or to get tips. BUT, I didn't really like waking up that much at night, so my perspective is obviously different.
This.

People are just looking to make a connection. IMHO anyways and sleep is one thing everyone deals with.

I'm more irritated by people thinking that all children will conform to a book's idea of how sleep should work in every single kid.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I always thought people were lying when they said their newborns slept through the night. I had 6 kids and they all woke multiple times every night to eat....then along came number 7. She sleeps from 8pm to 8am, eats then sleeps until 9 or 9:30. I really think she is a rare thing. Most babies wake up and eat. Most babies should. My baby is not even 4 months old, over 17 pounds and sleeps all night. I really feel blessed with her.

I would tell people to mind their own business. That its normal for babies to wake at night well into childhood. Its normal. The flip side is abnormal IMO.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote