Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
csnow
Registered Users
seller

Hats for sure, but check out the environmental working group (ewg) skin deep website for info on safe sunscreens.

Advertisement

csnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thinking ahead to summer and my snow white baby girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Hats for sure, but check out the environmental working group (ewg) skin deep website for info on safe sunscreens.
Thanks for the info. here is a link...
http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011suns...rt-sunscreens/
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use California Baby sunscreen. I buy it at Target. And a big hat.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Loose fitting, light clothing is much cooler, but doesn't provide much sun protection. But, if you don't want to be slathering the sunblock directly on her skin, you can buy UV protective clothing other than rash guards. They can be pretty expensive, though.

The other thing to try to look for is a UV protective laundry additive. It's a powder that you add to the laundry to boost the UV protection to about 30 SPF. It lasts through 3 -4 washes, too. It's not as expensive as sunscreen, and could be added to just about any laundry. The only place I've seen it for purchase is at a local Hancocks fabric store, but you can probably find it online.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is super pale but so far, after 2 beach trips and many days at the pool, he hasn't burned except for getting a tiny bit of pink on his ears and cheeks. I just cover him in sunscreen before we go out and try to make him wear a hat. I got a rash guard for him this year though to make it easier at the beach.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

How often should re-apply sunscreen? We were out today and she got a tiny-tiny pink.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but diet can really effect how much the sun burns you. I have very fair skin and used to burn very easily, but last year I switched to a diet much higher in healthy fat, and I was surprised to find that I could be in the summer sun for a couple of hours and not burn at all! If your daughter is still nursing she might be just fine with moderate sun exposure despite her fair skin; it's actually the best source of vitamin D, which helps to keep her immune system strong. Even if she's not nursing, if she's on solids eating grass-fed butter, whole milk products, and egg yolk are nutritious, high-fat foods that may help her to tolerate the sun's rays better.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
NevadaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: danandsassy
seller

My Mood:

See user pic

Redhead here with a strawberry blonde DD! We live in the high desert plains and hats and sunscreen are a way of life around here. We use the Jason brand family sport sunscreen and Elemental Herbs sunstick for little faces.

One thing that really helps is, get your kiddo used to wearing a hat as early as possible. We have always put them on DD practically since birth so she knows the drill - if she wants to go outside, she MUST have a hat on. She has a "hat basket" by the door and she can pick whichever one she wants, but we don't leave the house til it's on her head. This makes for some interesting outfits but it's better than dealing with the ouch of sunburn.

Last edited by NevadaMama; 03-30-2012 at 07:19 PM.
NevadaMama is offline   Reply With Quote