Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Angel89411
Banned

Starting solids at 5 months?

I was fully planning on waiting until 6 months, but DS2 seems to have other ideas. He is nursing a ton. He always seems to be hungry. I thought it was a growth spurt but it has been going on for over a week. He has never done this that long before. He watches us eat intently and fusses with frustration when we move food from his reach. I feel like he is ready to have some solids here and there. Should I give bits of food like avocado? Should I do purees until he is a little older? Am I completely mad for even considering this? He can not sit unassisted for more than a few second when sitting up. If he leans over (forward), he lasts a couple of minutes. He has great head control and can grab and hold things. He will be 5 months n the 3rd of April.

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wait until 6 months.

He is intently watching you do most things.. Solids are mostly for fun and you always nurse a full meal before even offering food, so my opinion is to wait.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Starting solids at 5 months?

I did everything by pediatrician with my first, so this waiting is weird to me but I have read and agree. I am just trying to figure out why he is suddenly nursing more? Then again, we are vesting a new place with new people.... It is hard when my mom and grandmother keep telling me to start him on solids and saying he is ready. Honestly, if my mom hadn't said something I probably would not have noticed the increase in nursing sessions.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
redjadefire
Registered Users
seller

I don't think any solids you could give him could satiate his hunger more than BM. That said, I also don't think 6 months on the dot is a magic age. They're all different after all. I let my 5-month old play with chunks of food. He doesn't really "eat" anything, but he enjoys the tastes and textures.
redjadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Bellebrooke
Registered
seller

My 1st started at 4 months for weight issues but my 2nd at 6months.
Bellebrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411
I did everything by pediatrician with my first, so this waiting is weird to me but I have read and agree. I am just trying to figure out why he is suddenly nursing more? Then again, we are vesting a new place with new people.... It is hard when my mom and grandmother keep telling me to start him on solids and saying he is ready. Honestly, if my mom hadn't said something I probably would not have noticed the increase in nursing sessions.
Perhaps that's why he is nursing more. New places, outta his comfortable place. Maybe it'sore the comfort of nursing than the need for milk..
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My lo will be 5 months tomorrow. This last week she has been reaching a lot more and showing more interest in everything. I think that is just the developmental stage she is at. She can not sit unassisted and is not ready for anything but bm. My first I gave rice cereal at this age and I wish I hadn't. You could tell from his diapers it was not digested fully. He was my first. Didn't know better. My second had avocado at exactly 6 months. This is my third & I hope to hold off for awhile. But we will she what she wants.
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjadefire
I don't think any solids you could give him could satiate his hunger more than BM. That said, I also don't think 6 months on the dot is a magic age. They're all different after all. I let my 5-month old play with chunks of food. He doesn't really "eat" anything, but he enjoys the tastes and textures.
This.

Don't think of solids as a nutritional need until a year. And all babies will differ on when they're ready (to a degree).
Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO is getting a tooth today...a tiny little corner is at the surface. Happy 5 month birthday to her. She has been nursing more this week. My guess the two are connected. My other two kids always nursed more when teething.
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

I know I'm probably against the norm here. I was considering waiting until 6 months, but I'm going to go ahead and start DD at 5 months. She is, in my opinion, showing signs of readiness. We're skipping rice cereal. Gonna dive in with avocado. Maybe oatmeal. If she shows signs of not tolerating it we'll of course stop, but I think it is time to try.

I have a bit of a different situation also adding to this though. My husband is the primary caregiver during the day since I work at a school. I will be on Spring Break starting Friday. I think that 10+ days home with them will be good for he starting solids. DH is a great daddy but he has never been around babies and doesn't really know what's what. He gets nervous when something she does is "new" and I feel like I need to be home for her first foods to help him tell if she is tolerating it well, how much to give her (i.e. how to read her signs of ENOUGH!), stuff like that. And also, DD can ready DH like a book. She's knows when he is uncomfortable/nervous and it turns her into a very crabby baby.

Point being--kids are different. If it doesn't go well, you can always back off. (though in your particular situation, OP, I'd give it a few days if you're in a new environment. Let your LO get settled back into regular life before you make the call)

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote