Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My little man is 6.5 months. He's been having some bloody mucus in his bm. His pedi doesn't think it's a reaction to dairy since its just starting up. I've started to eliminate dairy, dde2d, and I have noticed a difference. Is it possible to develop a allergy all of a sudden? Do you ladies have any helpful recipes/sites? TIA!!

Edit:
Is there anything I can do about my freezer stash?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by cyanotype; 03-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
cyanotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It is possible to later develop an allergy later in life, either in infancy or adulthood. My brother had a diary allergy develop when he was about 10months old. He grew out of it when he was around 4yrs old.
Most pedi are not experts when it comes to breastfed babies unfortunately. It's hardly covered in med school ( my brother was very surprised by this during his schooling). If you have a gut feeling about this your probably right especially since you've seen a difference since cutting out diary.
Blood in a bowel movement is not normal though. Could be strain while pushing but that is more common in older babies that are on solids.
Some babies will develop a rash on face with a milk allergy. Other symptoms are sleepiness, gassy, greenish poop, and irritability. Some babies will have an egg allergy along with the diary.
There isn't much you can do about ur stored milk. I would hold on to it till u know for sure your baby has an allergy and mark the new milk u are storing. If he does have an allergy u can always donate the old one. There are so many moms looking for milk on Human Milk 4 Human Babies.
Good luck!! It's a hard road of finding an allergy but I know u will. Just remember it takes a little over two weeks to see if a certain food is causing an allergy. Like keep diary out of your food for two to three weeks and then slowly introduce it to see if there is a difference. HTH!!
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oops. Almost forgot to say that Dr Sears has an excellent website with info on allergies and elimination diets.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy allergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyBum View Post
It is possible to later develop an allergy later in life, either in infancy or adulthood. My brother had a diary allergy develop when he was about 10months old. He grew out of it when he was around 4yrs old.
Most pedi are not experts when it comes to breastfed babies unfortunately. It's hardly covered in med school ( my brother was very surprised by this during his schooling). If you have a gut feeling about this your probably right especially since you've seen a difference since cutting out diary.
Blood in a bowel movement is not normal though. Could be strain while pushing but that is more common in older babies that are on solids.
Some babies will develop a rash on face with a milk allergy. Other symptoms are sleepiness, gassy, greenish poop, and irritability. Some babies will have an egg allergy along with the diary.
There isn't much you can do about ur stored milk. I would hold on to it till u know for sure your baby has an allergy and mark the new milk u are storing. If he does have an allergy u can always donate the old one. There are so many moms looking for milk on Human Milk 4 Human Babies.
Good luck!! It's a hard road of finding an allergy but I know u will. Just remember it takes a little over two weeks to see if a certain food is causing an allergy. Like keep diary out of your food for two to three weeks and then slowly introduce it to see if there is a difference. HTH!!
Thanks so much mama!! I appreciate it. He seems to be doing better and is sleeping much longer as well. On the bonus side I'm loosing a bunch of the baby weight.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyBum View Post
Oops. Almost forgot to say that Dr Sears has an excellent website with info on allergies and elimination diets.
I'll check it out! Thanks again!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

So sorry you're dealing with allergies. We deal with the same thing over here! Good luck with the diet. You can also check out http://www.onlythebreast.com/ for donating/selling your freezer stash, or hang onto it since any babies outgrow dairy allergies by 6 months.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I have also read that allergies can come on at any point. If he had bloody mucous in his BM and he wasn't sick, he's allergic to something. On a side note, I have a friend who is deathly allergic to cheese, but not other dairy. So they can be weird. If you want to know for sure, you can take him to an allergist. We got a skin prick test done on DD2. It was quick and pretty painless, and we got the answers we needed.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote