Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Long Nursing Strike....will she return to breast??

DD is almost 7 mos and has been on a nursing strike for 7 days now It was spurred by sickness, but now that she is better she still doesn't want to nurse. I think she also prefers the flow of the bottle. We are doing everything we can think of : baby wearing skin to skin, slow flow nipple and holding the bottle so it doesn't just drip in, offering the breast several times a day when she is sleepy, middle of the night, and after warm bath. But she has still not latched. She cries, arches her back, and pushes me away What is the longest that your lo has ever been on a nursing strike? Is all hope lost? Anything else I can do to get her to relatch?

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: Long Nursing Strike....will she return to breast??

Oh it sounds like you are doing the right things...just wanted to offer support...I know how heart wrenching it is to go through that! Are you absolutely certain she is better? My middle had 4 back to back ear infections which caused him to be on a long nursing strike...I'm not sure if he ever would have gone back, I wish I had tried harder...
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

We're getting a bit of the same this week - although I wouldn't call it a strike so much as he does nurse a little, but it takes a long time.

One thing that we are doing is not offering bottles much, but I don't know if that is right or not. I'm following the idea that if he is hungry then he will nurse, and this nursing strike is because being sick is causing him to lose his appetite. He is also refusing solid food. The one time I did try to offer a bottle he refused it also.

I wish I knew what more I could do. I do know that he is still sick, maybe when he is completely better he will get his appetite back?

I hope that your daughter gets better soon. Have you talked to your pediatrician about it yet?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
lilmomma83
Registered Users

How's it going? I'm thinking of you!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, last night I put her in the bed with me, plus we are trying warm baths, and also trying to cut out the bottles by cup feeding. However, I'm not sure the cup feeding is going to work so well at night time I'm hoping by the end of the week she is back to nursing, but if not, then it might be time to call it quits

My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Oh *hugs* I know how tough that is...I really hope she goes back to you, but, ultimately you just have to do what is best for your family. It sounds like you are working really hard at it....having her sleep with you at night is good...are you or can you sleep skin to skin? she may just latch on in her sleep if you do...I don't have experience with that, but, I just feel like it could happen....
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
HisFadedStar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe try a nipple shield?
HisFadedStar is offline   Reply With Quote