Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
jessicargrimes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pics of bad pul

Any pics to post? I have no idea what bad pul looks like.

Advertisement

jessicargrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
g-offsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pics of bad pul

are you asking about delaminated PUL? if so, I've got the perfect example, just have to take a picture of it

ETA: Pics
[IMG][/IMG]

And from the outside:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by g-offsmommy; 04-03-2012 at 06:01 PM.
g-offsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
jessicargrimes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks!

Yeah I'm not sure the exact verbiage. People keep talking about it and issues w it but I wasn't sure how'd I know if there was an issue - besides leaks
jessicargrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Delaminating is one example of bad PUL and generally pretty obvious. Sometimes PUL will get teeny tiny cracks in it that are much harder to see (and photograph).
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicargrimes View Post
Thanks!

Yeah I'm not sure the exact verbiage. People keep talking about it and issues w it but I wasn't sure how'd I know if there was an issue - besides leaks
Surprisingly, the above diapers never leaked ... As pp stated, sometimes "bad" PUL, that will leak, is harder to notice. If you're shopping pre-loved dipes, stretch the diaper out and watch for cracks or tiny gaps in the (shiny side) PUL, or areas of the PU that look thin or appear to be pealing. That's the best way I know to describe it. Also if selling or buying questionable diapers: try rubbing your thumb (use a good bit of pressure) across the PU side, any sign of separation, pealing, or other changes could indicate PUL that is about to "go bad", and of course not all diaper styles allow access to the PUL side of the fabric, but wrinkling or other signs may appear on the "out"side/poly side of the diaper ...
Both PPs with pics are the same brand
"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

delaminated PUL is the plastic peeling away from the fabric, and sometimes it still doesn't leak if its not punctured, but its definitely compromised and will be fragile. The cracked PUL is harder to see and causes leaks. I had a trainer once start with delaminating plastic on the PUL and it started peeling away right at the inside seam where it was sewn so it started leaking then. I have a couple covers with "stretch marks" too, I will try get a pic.

Here is the cover "at rest":

Here it is stretched:

Another one at rest:

Stretched out:

Last edited by mariamommy; 04-04-2012 at 07:15 AM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
g-offsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiddleDoppers View Post
Surprisingly, the above diapers never leaked ... As pp stated, sometimes "bad" PUL, that will leak, is harder to notice. If you're shopping pre-loved dipes, stretch the diaper out and watch for cracks or tiny gaps in the (shiny side) PUL, or areas of the PU that look thin or appear to be pealing. That's the best way I know to describe it. Also if selling or buying questionable diapers: try rubbing your thumb (use a good bit of pressure) across the PU side, any sign of separation, pealing, or other changes could indicate PUL that is about to "go bad", and of course not all diaper styles allow access to the PUL side of the fabric, but wrinkling or other signs may appear on the "out"side/poly side of the diaper ...
Both PPs with pics are the same brand
Yep, unfortunately it seems like a lot of people have had problems with FB PUL delaminating. However, as PP said, mine never actually leaked because of it. It's been in rotation for well over a year looking like that . Certainly not my "go-to" diaper, but it does the job for laundry day.