Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
The Little Mister is here :) (birth story included)

Micah Robert finally graced us with his presence on March 29 at 1:11 a.m. He was 7lb, 15 oz, 21.5 inches long... perfect!

Quick synopsis of labor.... couldn't sleep the night before. Got up at 4am to watch TV and had 4 quick contractions. I actually heard and felt my water break, twice. Ran in to tell DH, called everyone, but waited a bit to call the dr b/c contractions hadn't begun and I had to wait for my doula and sister to arrive. They got there and I still hadn't begun to have regular contractions. Called the dr, who told me to go right in as it was #5 and I was GBS+. Ugh...

Got to the hospital and all set up. I was checked and... ZERO. Nada. Weeks of contractions, EPO, nipple stim for a week, and 4 prior kids, none of whom I was zero at the beginning of labor- and this one, nuthin'! So discouraging. Anyway long story short I was zero centimeters, not even a fingertip, for the next 12 hours.

Yup, 12 hours. Sigh. We walked, used the birthing ball, etc etc etc etc. No change, no regular contractions.

My doula, meanwhile, was awesome. Never got tired, never stopped encouraging me, kept suggesting different things to encourage labor. I would absolutely hire a doula again if we got pregnant again. She was awesome.

12 hours into it, Dr hooked up the pit. It was increased pretty quickly and soon I was contracting regularly. Checked again, 4 cm- Progress, FINALLY! Got my epidural placed and was hooked up to one billion things. Checked less than 2 hours later, 9 cm. I went very quickly from 4cm to transition because I was shaking uncontrollably for what seemed like forever. Checked soon after that and was complete, YAY!

I decided, though, to "labor down" because I wasn't ready to push.... things had gone so quickly and I was a little overwhelmed. My doctor, who was just so awesome, didn't have a problem with that so I didn't actually start to push until I had been complete for more than an hour. It was really nice, actually. I pushed on my side for 15 minutes and he came out sunny side up. He was placed with me right away, skin to skin, for an hour while we were both checked. Apgars were 9 and 9. He is perfect Will try to post pics soon.

Also- he was by far my smallest baby. My other son was more than 2 pounds bigger! And his sister, who was 3 weeks early, was also bigger. It's kind of nice, having a "smaller" baby. He's so flipping cute!

All around, the perfect labor, even if it was a little long (just like this post, LOL!)

Blessed & joyful child of Christ, wife to B & seriously awesome mama to A, S, K, T & M, born 3/29/12
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." -Mark Twain
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: The Little Mister is here :) (birth story included)

Wow, I'm so glad you had such good support. Congrats Mama!!
SAHM , happily married to DH since 4/05; Mommy to our little Doodles 2/08, my VBAC babies 3/10 and 4/12.
CountryChicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

congrats! It was probably his positioning that caused the delay in the first place, so I'm glad that the pit helped labor to progress. Can't wait to see pics!
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Mama to 5 littles and 1 on the way (Jan 2014) married to my Cajun honey and building a tiny house of our very own out in the Texas country.
McMandy is offline   Reply With Quote