Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered Users
Help for formula supplemented NICU baby?

My friend just sent me a text message asking for some help.

Her daughter had to be put in the NICU shortly after she was born due to a mishap on the doctors part. She had surgery, she was tongue tied. Neither here nor there;

She was breastfeeding her, and at the NICU they had to feed it to her through bottles. Her daughter is now not latching on. She has to pump every 2 hours, and she's not getting enough milk through pumping; My friend is now supplementing with formula and is very fussy.

Ideally, I'd like to give her advice on how to wean off of the formula and back onto the breast, but if that just isn't possible, what can she do to help her daughter?

What should she do to help her daughter back onto the breast?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Mama to a sweet girl, Zoey
junebug2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help for formula supplemented NICU baby?

My baby was on NICU too and i didn't have enough milk supply when we got home (still struggle with that issue). Anyway, the lactation nurse suggested using a "Calma" nipple by Medela because it simulated nursing. I had to supplement in the beginning but at least the Calma nipple was more similar to nursing so that baby didn't develop a huge preference for the bottle.
neuro_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Poet Laureate
Please have her contact her local LA leche leauge! They will be able to offer her so much support and help. She may need to look into something like an sns to get her supply back up, but only a LLL will really know if that's necessary.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
Re: Help for formula supplemented NICU baby?

I can comiserate with the toll the NICU can take on nursing. She might want to consider using an SNS.
Christian WOHMama to DD1 7/07 and twins DD2 and DS 11/11
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ive had 4 premies who needed bottles.before breast and 2 NICU babies. My best advice is tell her to make sure shes eating enough first off. Second, stop offering the bottle. Try breast most of the time. If sh finds baby isnt having enough wet diapers in a day, go to formula. But I woud offer the breast every 1-3 hours, never any longer and pump between every other nursing session. Dont over pump because baby woll latch easier if breast is fuller. They train to nurse and latch on netter faster and help Mamas supply if bottle/formua is offered less. Tell her not to stress, dont go by a chart of how long/often to feed. Just relax, eat lots of good food, and snuggle baby often , offering breaat often. Baby will get it.

Sent from my C771 using DS Forum excuse any typos. My phone isnt as smart as it thinks it is.
Kristen: Helpmeet to my amazing DH
Mama to 8 Wonderful Blessings!
(12, 9, 8, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1 )
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote