Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Re: Did yo umake your own kindergarten curriculum? Advice? Where do I start?

Which catechism are you referring to- Roman Catholic or Protestant?

If Protestant: Christian Liberty Press' series Studying God's Word includes Bible study and catechism; Sinclair Ferguson's Big Book of Questions and Answers includes hands on activities; there's the AsK Me Whooo cd series that puts catechism to music and includes Scripture proofs; Big Truths for Little Kids by Susan and Richie Hunt would work well with My ABC Bible Verses (. Gertrude Hoeksema has a classic bible series for 1st-6th called Suffer Little Children and Show Me Thy Ways. Covenant Home Curriculum usually distributes that along with the k book Come Ye Children. Then there's God's Great Covenant by Classical Academic Press. You might find Veritas Press Bible Curriculum helpful as your child memorized through song over five years in which chapter and verse you can find all the major bible stories and events from beginning to end.

If you're Catholic, you might look at the Faith and Life Series or the Image of God series both by Ignatius Press, St Anne's Helper, Bible History of the Old and New Testament, Divinity Games (catechism and bible games),
Also Mater Amabilis, a free Catholic curriculum, has bible/catechism included in every year from k and up. Oh, and there's Seton too.

Advertisement

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVeryHappyMama

If Protestant: Christian Liberty Press' series Studying God's Word includes Bible study and catechism; Sinclair Ferguson's Big Book of Questions and Answers includes hands on activities; there's the AsK Me Whooo cd series that puts catechism to music and includes Scripture proofs; Big Truths for Little Kids by Susan and Richie Hunt would work well with My ABC Bible Verses (. Gertrude Hoeksema has a classic bible series for 1st-6th called Suffer Little Children and Show Me Thy Ways. Covenant Home Curriculum usually distributes that along with the k book Come Ye Children. Then there's God's Great Covenant by Classical Academic Press. You might find Veritas Press Bible Curriculum helpful as your child memorized through song over five years in which chapter and verse you can find all the major bible stories and events from beginning to end.

If you're Catholic, you might look at the Faith and Life Series or the Image of God series both by Ignatius Press, St Anne's Helper, Bible History of the Old and New Testament, Divinity Games (catechism and bible games),
Also Mater Amabilis, a free Catholic curriculum, has bible/catechism included in every year from k and up. Oh, and there's Seton too.
Thanks! We're protestant, so those links definitely helped!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Glad I could help! I just recently bought the Ask Me Whooo vol 1 cd to use with Theo and love it. He's memorized a lot more catechism since it arrived; the music really helps. He sings it throughout the day, too.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found this one online - free. It's one that I memorized in Christian elementary school.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13766354/Y...rens-Catechism
Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: *Update Did yo umake your own kindergarten curriculum? Advice? Where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Ok, here's what I'm thinking of using:
Reading - Hooked on Phonics (already have it)
Math - thinking of Horizons? input on that one? or maybe just math workbooks. I ordered a Judy Clock on Zulily a couple of weeks ago & I already have some pattern blocks.
Handwriting - not sure of this yet, either...
Bible - Bible verse each week, starting with letters of the alphabet; free catechism
Science/social studies - We already get God's World News, and that is pretty much all science, plus different "field trips"
How's that sound?

I am homeschooling Ava this year, and I'm tossing around the idea of just making my own curriculum vs. buying Sonlight. If you did your own thing, where did you start? I have the list of the state standards, but I'm not sure where I would go from here...I guess I could do different themes, and just kind of hit the standards here & there. I don't really know what to do. Ironic since my degree is in elementary ed, but all my experience has been classroom with 15+ kids & a curriculum handed to me.
I just got Horizons K in the mail to start with my daughter in the next few months. So take this with a grain of salt since I haven't used it yet But the teacher's guide doesn't appear to have much more information than the actual workbook. Maybe others can chime in about this? Just thinking if you do choose Horizons you might be able to skip the TG and just buy the workbooks. But fwiw, the workbooks look great and I'm excited for us to use them
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *Update Did yo umake your own kindergarten curriculum? Advice? Where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilikinsMama View Post
I just got Horizons K in the mail to start with my daughter in the next few months. So take this with a grain of salt since I haven't used it yet But the teacher's guide doesn't appear to have much more information than the actual workbook. Maybe others can chime in about this? Just thinking if you do choose Horizons you might be able to skip the TG and just buy the workbooks. But fwiw, the workbooks look great and I'm excited for us to use them
That's good to know, because I saw the workbooks (new) on ebay for $33 with free shipping, but there was no teacher's guide. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
4littlenorskes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At this age you really don't need the teacher's manual and pp is right their teacher manuals really don't have much info. I did Bible for my older ones and I ended up using extra workbooks to teach with them as the manual only gave answers and suggested projects to do with each workbook. But, overall it's a good curriculum.

Math - lots of hands on using beans, pom poms, paint chips, etc. and tracing numbers, counting 1-100, by 2's, 5's & 10's teaching the different types coins. Cooking/baking together, grocery shopping, etc. Board games are a great tool for teaching math as well!

Writing - really depends on the child. Get her familiar with what the numbers and letters are and then have her trace them with her finger so she gets the flow of how the letter is made. I printed off alphabet and number sheets and laminated them so she could practice with wipe-off markers.

Keep it simple and fun and read lots of books!

I thought this was a good article on teaching your kindergartener:
http://fivejs.com/how-to-homeschool-...indergartener/

Last edited by 4littlenorskes; 04-06-2012 at 08:10 AM.
4littlenorskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVeryHappyMama View Post

Thanks for the Catholic links. I hadn't even started to look for anything catechism related yet. You've done the legwork for me!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote