Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
psylion
Registered Users
seller

Re: What does "rainbow baby" mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
There are no rules. A loss, even one, is so profound that the light that is a new pregnancy, surely turns into a rainbow for that mother.

I've suffered secondary infertility for years. Had one loss, my next baby will definitely be my rainbow baby.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
princesslilahsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad someone asked because I figured rainbow baby meant a baby that had passed ( as in gone over the rainbow). I've never associated that term with a living baby.
princesslilahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm also glad this was asked. I always wondered :-)

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rainbow baby is a baby that comes after a loss. Some people use the term and others don't-either is ok. DD3 is my rainbow baby and I even gave her the middle name Iris, which means rainbow.

What is a Rainbow Baby?
It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of any storm. When a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm never happened or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that it is a baby after a loss. I don't see infertility as a loss (just a challenge to me) and therefore I never saw my triplets (conceived via IUI) as rainbow children. They became the reason why my son is a rainbow baby. Assuming I don't miscarriage before my next pregnancy though, I wouldn't consider my next child a rainbow baby. Yes they will live with the knowledge that they have 4 siblings that they will never meet (2 of which have extensive video of) but they will not be born right after said loss so to me that doesn't count. However because their birth will be a true miracle (have several doctors telling me that it is very risky to get pregnant again... for the baby not for me) I see them as something that is not defined, so I have taken to calling the next child my "over the rainbow" baby or a baby born after pelvic cancer.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohaas
What is a Rainbow Baby?
It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of any storm. When a rainbow appears, it does not mean that the storm never happened or that we are not still dealing with its aftermath. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover, but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope.
Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohaas View Post

What is a Rainbow Baby?
:luv:

I've always just associated the "rainbow" as a miracle baby after the storm, whatever that may mean.

We struggled for 5+ years with infertility, with one miscarriage. Still, I don't know if I would have called a baby after that a rainbow; I've never stopped to consider it.
Our true storm was a series of failed international adoptions... one in particular, that ended with a little boy who ceased to be adoptable, but remains in an orphanage. He will likely die very young of a condition that's highly treatable in the US, but is a death sentence where he's at.
Infinitely worse than my miscarriage.

For each person it's different. I've been through the storm, and can't wait to welcome my two rainbow babies in June, coming to us through IVF.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Rainbow baby is a baby that comes after a loss. Some people use the term and others don't-either is ok. DD3 is my rainbow baby and I even gave her the middle name Iris, which means rainbow.

What is a Rainbow Baby?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers View Post
The rainbow baby comes at the end of the rain storm of miscarriages and fertility battles.
And infant loss. Even though my Jonathan was born alive, he only lived 27 days, and I will consider a baby after him to be a rainbow baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
There are no rules. A loss, even one, is so profound that the light that is a new pregnancy, surely turns into a rainbow for that mother.
ANY single loss, whether it's a chemical pregnancy or the death of a liveborn infant or anything in between, is a loss and is "sufficient" for the mama to call her next baby a rainbow, IMO. One shouldn't have to reach a "threshold of X number of multiple losses" before they can call their next baby a rainbow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Personally, I think any of us who has suffered loss knows how painful it is. I think if someone has had one loss and wants to consider their next baby their rainbow baby, it is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
What is a Rainbow Baby?
Bolded that one bit, because I will be grieving the loss of Jonathan for the rest of my life. There is no "getting over" and "moving on" from the loss of a child. I can only find a new normal, a normal without him, and learn to live in THAT, missing him every day. The "aftermath" remains with me forever.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
And infant loss. Even though my Jonathan was born alive, he only lived 27 days, and I will consider a baby after him to be a rainbow baby.

ANY single loss, whether it's a chemical pregnancy or the death of a liveborn infant or anything in between, is a loss and is "sufficient" for the mama to call her next baby a rainbow, IMO. One shouldn't have to reach a "threshold of X number of multiple losses" before they can call their next baby a rainbow.

Bolded that one bit, because I will be grieving the loss of Jonathan for the rest of my life. There is no "getting over" and "moving on" from the loss of a child. I can only find a new normal, a normal without him, and learn to live in THAT, missing him every day. The "aftermath" remains with me forever.

I am trying to be respectful of those that struggle to have babies, and have lost children. (( Which is why 'rainbow baby' isn't in my siggy. I am very conscious about offending )) But the truth of the matter is, this infant{pregnancy} is my rainbow. S/he is a miracle with my high risk and the fact I lost my last pregnancy at 7 weeks. It was absolutely heart breaking. ( on christmas day, too ) I was terrified that with all the scaring I wouldn't be able to go through a pregnancy, as my doctor warned me was possible. She told me I might be able to get pregnant, but not be able to keep it past 12 weeks or so. We are not to 12 weeks yet, but we're to 10.5 . We pray each day the Lord will deliver us this last little package.

Congrats to all mamas that are having/have had their rainbow babies, and many hugs. This thread has made the emotional woman cry.

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote