Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #391
opheliaspins
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn Diaper Sew-A-Long 03/19-03-26

Thanks for the tutorial, I think I might try that for the next diaper I'm about to do in a few minutes.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #392
opheliaspins
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When you originally tack down the elastic, I assume it's on the wrong side of the fabric? You only do this to one? You aren't holding front and back together at that point?

Now that I'm starting to sew, I don't really understand how you don't see the stitching you did to hold down the elastic from the outside of the diaper.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #393
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Correct, you stitch the elastic to the wrong side of JUST the inside layer of the diaper, then when you sew the two layers together, you sew them right sides together.

You do end up being able to see the tack down stitching, but if you are worried about it you can use matching thread. I figure they are just going to poop on it, and since it is on the inside no one will be able to see it when they are wearing it anyway. Otherwise you can sew the elastic to a hidden inner layer if you really don't want to see the stitching.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 04-06-2012 at 04:51 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #394
opheliaspins
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
Correct, you stitch the elastic to the wrong side of JUST the inside layer of the diaper, then when you sew the two layers together, you sew them right sides together.

You do end up being able to see the tack down stitching, but if you are worried about it you can use matching thread. I figure they are just going to poop on it, and since it is on the inside no one will be able to see it when they are wearing it anyway. Otherwise you can sew the elastic to a hidden inner layer if you really don't want to see the stitching.
Okay thanks. I sewed it to what I was thinking of as the "front" with white stitching on red. haha but these are just practice ones, so I'm not too worried. And yes they are just poop catchers. lol Also the ones I"m doing are reversible so it doesn't really matter which is inside or outside.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #395
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
Turn the diaper right side out and pin the opening closed. I start sewing at the opening, using a 1/4" seam allowance for top stitching. Once I get around the first tab, I stitch until I get to the beginning of my first piece of elastic, then I bury my needle in the middle of where I stitched the elastic down.

Keeping the needle buried, I turn the diaper 90 degrees, then stitch 3/8" in for my casing, stitching through the elastic.

I bury the needle again, and turn back 90 degrees. My side of my foot ends up sitting right even with my top stitching.

Keeping the needle buried (to grip the fabric) I pull the fabric taut and make sure my elastic is tight up against the edge.

Keeping it taut, move 1/3 the distance of the elastic and pin there, pinning through the elastic

Pull taut again and move up another 1/3 the distance, pin through elastic again

When you let go, the elastic will stay in place

As you sew along the casing, keep the fabric pulled taut. Do the same for all three pieces of elastic, making sure to stitch through both ends of each piece of elastic, and finish off the top stitching.

After that, sew on the soaker. I find doing it this way is a LOT easier and faster than fully stitching down the elastic with a zig zag stitch before hand. I think you get a more polished look in the end, also.
This is how I do mine. I tack the elastic down after It's sewn tho.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #396
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here is my first attempt at adding hook and loop. I think it turned out really well! It is flannel inner and outer, and it is the DD red pattern with a BBB style soaker.

On creepy baby

Laundry tabs

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #397
opheliaspins
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Here is my first attempt at adding hook and loop. I think it turned out really well! It is flannel inner and outer, and it is the DD red pattern with a BBB style soaker.

Looks good! I like the fabric. And also how you keep cutting out the creepy babies head now.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #398
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opheliaspins View Post
Looks good! I like the fabric. And also how you keep cutting out the creepy babies head now.
Thanks!

No need to give anyone nightmares.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #399
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Here is how I do my elastic:

Top stitching in next post...
Thank you sooo much for the tutorial. It all makes perfect sense now! Pictures make everything a little clearer Headed out to buy fabric once the stores open and then attempt diaper #2!
1healthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #400
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I've been MIA and can't wait to sew. We are having wood floors, French doors and the nursery painted so the house has been one construction zone.

Anyone have recommendations for a GOOD rotary cutter? I'm thinking Olfa brand.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote