Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
pkaskaggs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLanning next years curriculum anyone>?

your 1st grader might like math u see. it has manipulatives for each lesson and is very hands on. whenever a new topic is introduced, there is a quick DVD lesson to watch. my dd enjoys this program. there is also a lot of spiral review which is great.

for your 4 yo, i would recommend this. its an AWESOME resource for home school moms! she has a pre-k curriculum that is FREE. it is a letter-of-the-week type program with lots of fun activities and games. she uses the work box system. have you seen those tall, skinny drawers that come up to about your counter top? there are usually 10 drawers in a 'tower' and she puts an activity in each drawer...so the kids work their way through each drawer at their own pace. it looks very cool and we are going to try it.

Advertisement

pkaskaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitterBug Creations
DS will be doing Kindergarten next year and we plan to do the entire Abeka Kindergarten Cirruculum.

We will also be doing Book-It as reading incentives

I'd like to do some type of outside Art program and also a Physical edu. program of some sort. maybe a sport or class at the Y or something.
We are going on our second year of hsing for my oDD/ 2grade, is doing the full curriculum of Abeka, we did the 1st grade this past year and it's been awesome for us.

My DD2/ is our first year starting with her in K5, we re also going to do the full ABeka curriculum

None of the DVDs just book work and shown by me
I need to order our books tomorrow at the book show

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine will be DS1 - 2nd grade (if he were in PS), DS2 - K (if in PS) and DS3 - just keeping him out of trouble! HA!

We are part of Classical Conversations, so we'll be doing that. I will also do Spell to Write and Read for both boys. I will combine some aspects of the lesson, but then do separate lessons as well.

We've been doing Saxon math but don't like it as much, except when it uses manipulatives. I'm hoping to look into Right Start math for both of them, just different levels, obviously. So, I will have to teach them separately for math as well.

I hope to join a couple other families for Apologia Science. I'd like to do Astronomy, just b/c my boys love space stuff so much.

Reading will just be reading aloud to them and hopefully the oldest one will read some books on his own.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am so glad that I am not the only HS mom that plans for the next year *early*! I have been looking at curriculum for over a month now!

DS1 6th grade

Math- Teaching Textbooks 7 (never used, finishing up Saxon 6/5 this year)
Science- Rod and Staff
Grammar - Rod and Staff
History- Finishing up Beautiful Feet Early American History and also doing MOH through co-op.
Reading will come from the books recommended in the history programs and other book lists. I will also incorporate some lapbooks/story guides for comprehension.

DS2- 2nd grade
Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory - Heart of Dakota
Math- Horizons 2nd grade
Phonics -Adventures in Phonics Book B - CLP
Penmanship- writing with phonics- Abeka

We are participating in a Community Bible Study which will take care of Bible for us as well as what is built into the curriculum already.

DD1- 4yr old
I am going to have her tag along with the 2nd grader for the history and science reading
Writing with Phonics K4- Abeka
And various online printable/lapbook projects

I am not a huge fan of doing formal education at such a young age, but she BEGS everyday to do school work with her brothers, so we have been working on tracing and cutting as well as coloring, letters, numbers and the such. So, I will keep it loose and short for her. She will learn the most through play!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

Next year I'll have two "officially schooling" lol, technically I school all of my kids. But I don't worry about formal curriculum until kindy or 1st grade depending on the child. I plan early - like January - because we use tax return to purchase curriculum so I like to have a ballpark figure of what I'm going to need ahead of time.

2nd grader:
Reading: I have him do interest led reading and we will do read alouds. I'm picking books listed in Sonlight's core A and might draw from ambleside online to choose the read alouds.
English/Phonics: we're using Scott Foresman grammar program - it's free http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html
Math: we're switching from MM (too much handwriting) to Math U see this fall
Science: Using Usborne books of Science activities to pair activities with seasons or other things we're studying.
Handwriting: Handwriting without tears - going to work through this with him because he still forms some letters wrong.
Spelling: AAS - we're currently at the start of level 2, so we'll just pick up wherever we are when the fall comes. We kinda school year round.
Social Studies/History: We're taking a trip around the world - I'm creating this myself using various resources and just touching on geography and culture and some history of the countries we'll "visit". This will take us the rest of this school year and all of next.

Kindergarten:
Reading: Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching reading and reading eggs
English/Phonics: I consider learning to read phonics.
Math: I might have him do math u see primary this fall but I haven't decided 100% yet. Otherwise he'll just do basic math activities throughout the year.
Science: Using Usborne books of Science activities to pair activities with seasons or other things we're studying.
Handwriting: Handwriting without tears - I have the teacher's guide for this but he writes well and might not need it.
Spelling: too young for this yet. Might work on sight words though I don't feel very strongly about those.
Social Studies/History: We're taking a trip around the world - I'm creating this myself using various resources and just touching on geography and culture and some history of the countries we'll "visit". This will take us the rest of this school year and all of next.

Pre-school 4yr old:

We're using the Letter of The Week curriculum from Confessions of a homeschooler. I bought it a couple of years ago and printed and laminated most of the activities for each letter. I print out the other stuff as needed and add in my own fun games/activities.

He also plays on reading eggs.

Tot school going to be 2yr old:
whatever will keep her occupied so I can school her older brothers. lol She loves to color and the do a dot markers were a hit with her this morning. I'm hoping that she becomes more interested in her puzzles.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
TexasRachel
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll have two starters next year. Dd will be starting high school and DS kindergarten.

Dd
English: lots of ancient books and plays to read.I have a few guides (memoria press, garlic press, etc) to help. Editor in chief c1.
Math: Lial's intro algebra with life of Fred and key to algebra as supplement.
History: goes with English and History of the Ancient World.
Science: Miller/Levine's biology with Illustrated home Expirements for labs.
So you really want to learn Spanish and visual link Spanish (1- then 2 when she finishes it)
Second form Latin
Lifepac's speech
Lifepac's health
Byu's business information (word, excel, etc)
PE

The last three will be done over the summer as they can be done quickly and gotten out of the way.

DS
Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading
Rightstart Math/Singapore Math
Lots of library books

2yo
Whatever I can find to keep him busy

Mom to DD(16), DS(7), DS(4), DS(2), and one waiting in heaven for us.
TexasRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I purchased all our curriculum when we got our tax return back, and its all here waiting!

I'll have a 6th, 4th, 2nd, and Ker next year..

Together for 6th, 4th, and 2nd
My fathers World Rome to Reformation Deluxe(includes STOW 2, Jennie Fulbrights Exploring Creation with Astronomy amongst others)
MFW covers ARt, Music, Some LA skills, Vocabulary, Bible, History, Geography, Science, Read Alouds

Individually:

Kindergarten:
Math U See Primer
A Reason for Handwriting K
My Fathers World K

2nd Grader:
Spelling Power
Primary Language Lessons (second half of part 1)
Daily Bible Copywork
Math U See Beta

4th Grader:
Spelling Power
Intermediate Language Lessons (Part 1)
Math U See Delta
Writing Strands 3

6th Grader:
Spelling Power
Intermediate Language Lessons Part 3
Math U See Zeta
Writing Strands 5

*older kids choose books from 1000 Good Books list for "reading" or I use a Mcguffy's reader occasionally.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I've got it all planned out. My son will be in 8th grade next year, we will be using....

Science: Switched on Schoolhouse 8th grade
History: Switched on Schoolhouse 8th grade
English: Easy Grammar Plus
Daily Grams Grade 8
Zaner-Bloser Handwriting middle school
Wordly Wise Book 8
Reading Comprehension Jane Erivin grade 8
UnJournaling
Spelling: Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections (online) and Spelling City (online)

Math: Saxon Math Algebra 1/2
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

We decided to school all year and my boys are kind of mixed with their grade levels. Corbin is doing some 3rd and some 4th grade work (Math 4th and LA 3rd grade levels) This is what we are doing now and should be doing for a while:

Corbin 3rd/4th grade-
LA (grammar, writing, reading)- Moving Beyond the Page 7-9
Science- Moving Beyond the Page 7-9
Social Studies- Moving Beyond the Page 7-9
Spelling- Spell by Color yr 1
Math- MEP 3A
Handwriting- Cursive Writing made Fun and Easy (by Scholastic)

Reid 1st/2nd Grade:
LA- Moving Beyond the Page 5-7
Science- Moving Beyond the Page 5-7
Social Studies- Moving Beyond the Page 5-7
Math- MEP 2A
Phonics/Reading- Stairway to Reading

Faith- Kindergarten
Math- RightStart Level A
We will be doing some phonics and learning to read...unsure which way to go about it.
Tagging along with Moving Beyond the Page with Reid.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #20
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did both my thinking and my buying already. I have a friend who runs a used curriculum shop and has a special night for our hs group before she takes her stock the big conference in town.

Tyler (8th grade)

Continuing with virtual school for English, math, history, science and electives (he chose computer applications, PE, and digital photography)
Power Glide high school German I
Happy Scribe Handwriting

Ryan (2nd grade, but with special needs) and James (kindergarten, but currently pretty far ahead) work together:

Math:
Saxon Math 1 as the spine, also working in Singapore 1A and B and with a Cuisenaire rod activity book to put some variety in because Ryan needs lots of repetition to really absorb it, but they both get cranky if they realizes it's lots of repetition
English:
First Language Lessons
Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
Explode the Code (both should be onto book 4 by fall)
Happy Scribe Handwriting and/or Handwriting Without Tears
Spelling Workout A and B - maybe. I got them out this year, but I just wasn't feeling the love like I did when I used them for Tyler.
Sight word games/activities
Science:
R.E.A.L. Science : Life Level 1 (Pandia Press) + co-op science class every other week
History:
Story of the World 1 + SOTW co-op class weekly
Foreign Language:
Teach Them Spanish 1 + co-op Immersion Spanish class every other week
Art and Music:
Harmony Fine Arts - finishing 1, moving onto 2
Bible:
Make It, Shake It, Mix It Up

Leo - Starting toddler-friendly art projects, playing with all the math manipulatives, and sitting in on reading and Spanish time.

Last edited by dirtmagnets; 04-07-2012 at 12:31 AM.
dirtmagnets is offline   Reply With Quote