Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
tandiwe76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Opinions on Piddle Pads (and prefolds)?

Hi,

I'm planning to EC from birth, and am wondering what people think about piddle pads?

Like, what type of material works best?
-How big?
-What brands have you found to be good?
-Anything to look for / or avoid?
-Can I just use an old wool blanket?
-What situations did you use piddle pads in most of the time?

Also, how do prefolds fit into the picture?

Thanks!

Advertisement

tandiwe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Re: Opinions on Piddle Pads (and prefolds)?

I never used piddle pads-- if what you're referring to are the doggy piddle pads or the medical/hospital pads called chux. I already had two waterproof mattress pads from my older DD when I decided to start ECing DS at 5 weeks. So I would lay him on the waterproof mattress pad for tummy time or naked time, on top of a prefold or old towel to just absorb any pees. I also used prefolds with a snappi and cover if I wasn't watching him for cues (like if I was cooking or having to attend to his older sister). I was not and am not diaper-free with him.

You could use an old wool blanket, but you'll probably want to wash it frequently. If you have old towels, you could certainly just use a couple of those padded on top of each other. I found a size of 3 feet x3 feet to be sufficient until DS started crawling at 5 months, and then all bets were off. We've been peeing in diapers most of the time since then, as he's too mobile to sit on the potty much. I am also using pocket diapers instead of PFs, as he won't hold still to let me pin the PFs, and the snappi's 3rd leg keeps hanging loose and I'm worried it will hurt him.

But, I am not an expert at ECing by any means. There are mamas on here who have EC'ed more than 1 kid. DS is my first kid I have tried to EC. His older sister was conventionally potty-trained. Maybe a more experienced mama will chime in.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
tandiwe76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks a lot for your input Tweedledum, it is helpful. For some reason these details about EC'ing are hard to find info on...maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing too! : )

Anyone else have experiences to share?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Tweedledum
Registered Users

There are a few books I'd recommend you look into to learn some practical tips on ECing.

Ingrid Bauer's Diaper Free.

Christine Gross-Loh's The Diaper-Free Baby.

I also liked Diaper Free Before 3, which doesn't have as many practical tips but is more scientific/research-based discussion on why early potty training is beneficial.

All of these books were available at my public library. Maybe they are available at yours?
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
captivates
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the book recommendations! I found Gross-Loh's book at my local library!
captivates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What's a piddle pad? Like the blue plasticy disposable dog things? I'm on ECed kid number three and I've never had one of those. I just stack about 6 prefolds under baby- as one gets wet, I whip it off and we keep playing!

We are low-key though. I didn't buy any specific EC gear except a potty. We just use what we have. I nurse with baby on a prefold in my lap, but it's pretty obvious when baby has to potty- they pop off and act fussy! I rarely get peed on by newborns- it's usually when I'm on the computer not paying attention! Gros-loh's book is great- glad you found it.

Good luck!! It'll be fun!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandiwe76 View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to EC from birth, and am wondering what people think about piddle pads?

Like, what type of material works best?
-How big?
-What brands have you found to be good?
-Anything to look for / or avoid?
-Can I just use an old wool blanket?
-What situations did you use piddle pads in most of the time?

Also, how do prefolds fit into the picture?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
What's a piddle pad?
I have a wool one on DD's co-sleeper and a larger one on our king bed and I love them. I would use them whether or not I EC'd. We got 1 with the cosleeper when we bought it used, and I liked it so much I bought the other (also used b/c they're so expensive). I use them instead of a waterproof mattress cover. I'd think a wool blanket would work fine. The ones I have are just thinner than a wool blanket would be. The prefold-trick works too. With the wool, you don't have to wash it every time it gets pee'd on. When DD was tiny, I kept it on top of the sheets and put a thin receiving blanket over it so it was soft to lay on. Now that she's 5 mo and not leaking as much, I use it under the sheets. It doesn't absorb a pee, so if LO's going diaperless we still put a prefold under her.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
tandiwe76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the details about the wool piddle pad...that is what I meant in my OP. I just got some excess organic wool fabric from a WHAM, which is about 29x59, so I'm thinking of just washing it once to felt it and then using that as you said, under the baby in bed. If its big enough after washing maybe I can even make two!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use a wool blanket on the floor that I know wasn't dipped in chemicals... Something that you need to be wary of. On the bed DD is on a baby sheepskin... again need to be wary of chemicals. With DD1 I would lay down a fleece blanket and put a prefold under her. When she started rolling around I put down a towel on top of the fleece.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote