Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
CountryChicMama's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,106
My Mood:
My second successful, med-free VBAC (pic heavy)

Samuel Gray was born on April 4th at 11:05am weighing 8.15lbs and 21.5 inches long.

On Monday I was officially 41 weeks 3 days late. I’d been contracting and losing plug for the past three days, but nothing significant or time-able. I had an OB appt. that morning where I was declared a good 3cm and asked for them to strip my membranes. I began having good cramping almost immediately after the appt. and we went home to relax with the kiddos.

At about 8:30 that evening I realized that the cramping had become contractions and were coming regularly so we began to time them. By about 1:30am they had started to get intense enough and were coming every 6-8 minutes that I sought refuge in the shower. Called my mom at about 3:30am and told her to come on down, so that DH could rest a little. I got out of the shower and at around 4:30 with the intention to labor about an hour longer at home (contractions were every 4-5 minutes, but only lasting about 35-45 seconds), but I immediately felt off. I felt VERY faint, nauseated and honestly, like something bad was about to happen. I tried laying down, but couldn’t and immediately started dry heaving and falling down, so we called the inlaws who luckily live a mile away, got in the car and left.

We get to the hospital and my blood pressure was pretty high (so I assume that was the cause of my “attack”), so I just try to rest a bit. I was only 6cms, which I was disappointed about, but within 2 hours my BP had dropped significantly and I’d dilated to 8cms. At that point (about 7am) I had my MW break my water to see if it’d help progress my labor a little quicker. When we did we noticed merconium, but she wasn’t too concerned as I was so far along.

And then I stalled. I don’t know what happened, but my contractions began getting more and more intense, and on top of each other, yet I had no dilation for almost 4 hours!! I was almost in tears. I had been laboring now for almost 14 hours through the night. I was so tired that I broke down and asked for the epidural, but before I could get it I had to complete a bag of IV fluids first. So I was hooked up to the fluids and left to labor some more. At this point I just wanted to go home; I was so overwhelmed I just wasn’t even sure I could make it through the bag of fluids. DH and my mom were doing their best to comfort me and console me, but I was just really having a difficult time and was blaming myself for waiting too long and trying to be a martyr.

That anger and frustrations led me to just start pushing a little at every contraction. I didn’t care if I was dilated, or if I felt pushy, I just needed to do something. My IV bag had barely gone down one whole notch when all of a sudden I felt him slide down! I yelled that I need to push and my mom ran a grabbed a nurse. They came in checked and she yelled back “Hurry up, he’s not going to make it!!” I looked at her and said “What?!” She said the OB wasn’t going to make it; he was in with a c/s and my MW had stepped back into the office for a few appts. Luckily one of my other OBs just happen to be up on the floor visiting, so she ran in and in 4 or 5 contractions/pushes Samuel Gray was born.

The cord was wrapped up and around the back of his neck, shoulders and then I heard the staff gasp. The OB lifted up the cord and there was a perfect knot in it! We didn’t get to delay cord cutting due to the meconium, but the NICU team were able to drain/suction him right there next to my bed and then they just wrapped him up in a warm towel and handed him back. He was 8lbs 15oz and 21.5 inches long. I wish DH had gotten a pic of the knot, but he was too wrapped up in taking shots of Sam. I ended up with only a small superficial 2 stitch tear which was amazing. Though my labor left a little to be desired, my recovery has been fantastic and I honestly don’t even feel like I gave birth 5 days ago!

Meeting brother for the first time.

Absolutely infatuated.

In our first woven.

SAHM , happily married to DH since 4/05; Mommy to our little Doodles 2/08, my VBAC babies 3/10 and 4/12.

Last edited by CountryChicMama; 04-08-2012 at 09:29 AM.
CountryChicMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.