Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Taking the paci away...

Dd is 18.5 months. Due to speech and sleep and reliance issues... We are TRYING to take it away. We limited to sleeping and car from 15 months.

Dd refuses to nap without it for me :/ so she has been kinda awful terrorish from 2:30 til i can get her to sleep (8-8:30ish). But she will sleep through the night.

But the car is really rough snytime after naps should have been. Screaming. Serious screaming. My son covers his ears in the car. I have been blasting the music.

We started the no pacis tuesday. I dont know how long i can go without napping and screaming in the car. I need Reaasurance that it'll get better quickly. Or other advice. Please.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
It will get better.

Things got a lot better when my DD settled on a lovey. Does your child have one? Can you help them discover one?

The napping might not be totally related even though it anecdotally seems like it. My 18month old has been going through a no-napping phase for awhile. We are finally out of it, sorta. But I thought she was done with naps or something for a couple weeks.

You can try something like the 'No Cry Nap Solution' (not something I know personally, just seen it mentioned on here).

I had to rock her for naps for awhile. Then she got out of it. I'm hoping that it was her version of the 18month sleep regression.

No matter, just be consistent. When we took away the paci, my DD got sick like 2days later. I preferred to be up all night rocking so she could sleep than to rely on the paci again. So we got through it.

It will get better.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
blackflaggirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I remember my daughter going through this stage. I constantly had to rock her to sleep for about a month. After the paci stage she went through picking her nose till she fell asleep. Now she needs to be within arms reach and she's 4. It it does get easier, but it seems you gotta go through the rough first. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Taking the paci away...

If you take the paci away or make a rule about it, stay consistent!

My daughter threw her own paci away recently at a little over 2 years old. I was wanting to take it away from her but she wasn't ready and I couldn't bring myself to be consistent....so I figured better to give in then try thing after thing after thing and then give it back to her when she cried.

Is there something else that would soothe her on car rides? Something else that would really want like another security item like a toy?
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

It will get better by the way. On VERY rare occasion, I have stepped out of my car for like one minute or less just to take a breather when my daughter was crying for the paci. She is not a serious screamer but she does cry and it's hard to say no.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have to take it away?

Would limiting it like you have done before to bed time be good enough. She wouldn't be speaking while she is sleeping?

Kids need to soothe in some way. I know some 18 month olds that still use breasts. LOL

I guess I kinda feel with the the same way I feel about co-sleeping and potty training. Rarely (unless special needs) do you see a 15 year old sleeping in bed with mom and dad, sucking a paci, or not using the toilet.

My older two gave up the night paci by age 3. My DD that just turned 2 is definitely not ready to give up her "baby". LOL

GL mama!!

Last edited by fish3737; 04-06-2012 at 11:46 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
mparmywife
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to be in the minority here, probably, but I honestly would keep consistent on the car thing (maybe a lovey or special small stuffed animal instead?) but give it back for bed/naps. She's so little and if it helps her sleep better then let her have it. DD1 is 5 1/2 and we cannot break her of sucking her thumb (we have tried it all from books to discipline to polish and guards...) so with DS and his binky I weaned him down to only at bed when he was 2 and then didn't worry about it. He was 3 years 2 months when we forgot the binky on vacation and he just went to sleep. When we came back then the binky fairy came and binky went to a baby who needed it - no drama, no fuss. There was some fuss when he was about 18 months when we were taking the binky away more and more (not in the car, only at home) but it went away in about a week with only sporadic tantrums after that. Whatever you decide just keep reassuring her and keep consistent. Good luck :-)
Daughter of the King and Blessed to be a SAHM/WAHM BFing, CDing, Circumcising, Slow Vaccinating to James, mama to DD1 Caitlyn (08/16) angel baby Michael (10/07) DS Nathan (11/08) and DD2 Hanna Nicole (07/11)
https://www.facebook.com/SweetSparkles3
mparmywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

I took away my daughters paci at around 14 months. She was really attached to it especially when going to sleep. She kept dropping them under the bed (we co-slept at the time) at night while she slept and I had a hard time getting them because I was pregnant. So, one day I decided not to pick them up. She fussed for about a week then she eventually forgot about them. Out of sight out of mind :-) I think having a lovey is helpful too. My daughter was also attached to her blankets, and still is. I think her blanket helped her sleep at night without her paci.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It will get better! I would personally just be consistent with it. My oldest was really attached to his paci. We took it away around 15 months and it was rough the first few days but it got much better after that.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
pcjs
Registered Users

We transitioned at that age over a few weeks (I think about two). I started by taking it away at day (which you have done), then after he fell asleep for a few days at naps only, then naps, then started taking it away for 30 minutes at night, to transitioning to no. It was a lot of screaming but then it became no big deal. Our only issue was he was still teething/molars so I replaced it with a bunch of tethers (or you can use frozen wash cloths).