Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
captivates
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS 5yo still sucks thumb, won't blow nose

My son has sucked his thumb forever, and even though it's only when falling asleep now, it has become a problem during allergy season. See, he won't blow his nose. Like, at all. He insists on wiping only. I've threatened, instructed, educated - all I can do. I have ended up pinning him down on the bed and using a nasal aspirator to get some of the snot. Since most of it runs down his throat, he always develops a nasty cough. And because he only wipes, his upper lip is solid red and bloody from day 1. I give him garlic regularly to build his immune system and keep him from getting infections, so bronchitis has not been a concern. However, at night, he tries to suck his thumb and breathe through his mouth - at the same time. It leads to long nights of night terrors, croupy coughs, bloody noses, and a tired family.

He quit sucking his thumb, making a conscious effort, after his tooth extraction. Once it healed, he went right back. He can blow his nose - he just won't. He'd rather wipe it on his shirt, or use a dozen tissues to wipe once. What's the best way to fight both fronts - the habit and nose-blowing resistence?

Advertisement

captivates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Re: DS 5yo still sucks thumb, won't blow nose

My secret weapon: m&ms! My kids will do ANYTHING for one or two m&ms.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

No idea. My 5 yr old is the same way. I can't get her to stop sucking her thumb, nor can I get her to blow her nose. She will wipe it or just sniffle repeatedly. I didn't have this issue with the older two, so not sure where to go with her. I haven't tried putting anything nasty tasting on her thumb, though I've thought about it. I saw some thumb shields at the dentist office, but they are about $40 and I don't really want to shell out the money for it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kid's hate tissues, but will use a hankie or cloth wipe. Maybe try that.

For thumb sucking, the only thing that's worked for us is tea tree oil painted on the thumb. It's a taste reminder when that thumb abstractly slides in, but one that actually has health benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
My kid's hate tissues, but will use a hankie or cloth wipe. Maybe try that.

For thumb sucking, the only thing that's worked for us is tea tree oil painted on the thumb. It's a taste reminder when that thumb abstractly slides in, but one that actually has health benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yeah, I thought about painting my daughter's thumb with apple cider vinegar, since it doesn't taste good, but is certainly okay for her to ingest.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I would pay good money if someone could teach my kids (almost 6, and almost 4) to blow their noses.

Sorry, I'm no help!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
MJLViper
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
I would pay good money if someone could teach my kids (almost 6, and almost 4) to blow their noses.

Sorry, I'm no help!
My 6 year olds just mastered this, thanks to their teacher lol!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
My 4.5 has recently! started refusing to blow her nose! Drives me nuts. She learned how when she was 2 and did it w/o complaint up until a couole months ago. Now she just sniffles-which has became a problem during swim class with taking proper breaths and also sucking up pool water up her nose I really need to find some local honey for her allergies!!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote