Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
mamademics
Registered Users

Latching

When is it safe to say your baby will never latch?

My son is 17 days old and getting him to latch has been a constant struggle. He definitely acknowledges where the milk comes from, but he has only actually sucked 5 or 6 times. I hd lactation consultants at the hospital, but he was so sleepy and made it hard to get him awake. Our pediatrician said that his mouth may just be too small right now, since I was induced 3 weeks early due to him not growing at the proper rate. I went to a Le Leche meeting last week and they pretty much said to just keep trying, because he expresses interest, but I'm really sad and feel like he's never going to take the actual breast now that we've given him bottles.

Anybody have a similar situation? Advice? Encouragement?

Advertisement

mamademics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: Latching

He may have a tongue tie - lots of babies can't latch who have tongue ties!

One of my LLL leaders said her baby didn't latch until he was over a month old...she pumped to keep up her supply, and eventually he just latched...then he nursed for over a year!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
jpegtle
Registered Users
seller

Have you had a lactation consultant come to your house and analyze/help?
jpegtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
mamademics
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83 View Post
He may have a tongue tie - lots of babies can't latch who have tongue ties!

One of my LLL leaders said her baby didn't latch until he was over a month old...she pumped to keep up her supply, and eventually he just latched...then he nursed for over a year!
How would I know if he had a tongue tie? I've been pumping constantly and we have a nice sized stash already, but I just feel like I'm missing out on the bonding of him actually latching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegtle View Post
Have you had a lactation consultant come to your house and analyze/help?
No I've been trying to find someone who doesn't charge a ton of money, but no such luck yet.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had the same problem, my DD did not latch until she was 5 weeks old. I was using a nipple shield up until that point. She is 8 weeks and can finally stay awake through a nursing session, hang in there. BTW, the nipple shield did the trick for me since my DD was use to the feel of a bottle. I had to bottle feed her formula the first couple of days for low blood sugar, so we were not able to get a good start at latching. Now at 8 weeks, she has a bottle about once a week when we are out and about. Good luck mama!
basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
mamademics
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by basMama View Post
I had the same problem, my DD did not latch until she was 5 weeks old. I was using a nipple shield up until that point. She is 8 weeks and can finally stay awake through a nursing session, hang in there. BTW, the nipple shield did the trick for me since my DD was use to the feel of a bottle. I had to bottle feed her formula the first couple of days for low blood sugar, so we were not able to get a good start at latching. Now at 8 weeks, she has a bottle about once a week when we are out and about. Good luck mama!
Thank you this is very encouraging I will try the nipple shields again. We haven't had to give him formula, but pumping so much is a bit overwhelming.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Here's a link to an article with signs/symptoms and pictures: http://www.kiddsteeth.com/Does_Your_...Frenum2010.pdf

If your baby has a posterior one, it can be almost impossible to see and may be missed by health professionals, here is a link to reccomended health professionals for this: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

I figured out my daughter had one because was had ALL of the signs/symptoms listed at the top of the article I attached (you may only have 1-2 and a TT still be present). My DDs tongue didn't lift much without her closing her mouth...the sides "cupped" a little. If I put my finger (nail side down) in her mouth and let her suck I could only feel movement in the front of her mouth (she had a posterior tie...that might be different with a different type of tie). Also, running my finger under her tongue I could feel a "speed bump" were the frenulum was. Often times a tongue tied child can also have a lip tie...lip ties are really easy to spot - it is just a tissue connecting the lip to the gum...once I saw that is when I decided I had better get treatment for my DD...that said, a baby can have a TT and not a LT.

A good lactaction consultant (IBCLC) is a really great idea too....I've been working with several, and they've been my ROCKS!!! I'm not sure if all do this, but, mine have been giving me pretty much unlimitted phone support (I have been in for multiple consultations) and it has meant the world to me.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I forgot to add, that if your baby has a posterior tongue tie a lot of professionals will say that if baby can stick tongue past their lips they can nurse effectively...not true. My DD could and she transfered practically no milk and gave me painfully squished nipples!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
mamademics
Registered Users

I just wanted to update that he has been nursing with the nipple shields since Thursday evening and hasn't had a bottle at all in about 36 hours.