Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
My Mood:
Woolies down on the farm? (And I don't mean sheep!)

Does anyone here live on a farm AND have LOs in wool diaper covers...? I the idea of wool... and love using wool in the house... but I am beginning to realize that wool tends to get dingy (at least the interlock I've got, does!).

This leaves me with a dilemma. As much $$$ as wool costs, I can't really afford to keep "playclothes wool" and "good wool" ... it's just not feasible. And I LOVE letting kids play in the dirt, grass, whatever - BE KIDS - but I cringe whenever I have to take a step toward the door with ds in his woolies, because I -know- they're just going to get dirty.

If you do woolies on the farm, HOW DO YOU MAKE IT WORK? *sigh*

Sent using the DS Forum Android app

Hannah Elise, procrastinator extraordinaire
Wife to Spencer (5.29.10), momma to Asher (3.19.11) & Benjamin (12.20.13)
Mud-lovin', trail-ridin', book-readin', goat-raisin' country girl
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Woolies down on the farm? (And I don't mean sheep!)

You can "un-dingy" wool by scrubbing the ever loving crud out of it with a woolie wash bar. But I find that to be a lot of unnecessary work. I ended up switching to mostly Thirsties covers. Or you can just stick to dark colors or recycle wool that you don't care about getting dirty.
Beth, wife to Matt 11-25-06, mommy to Levi Allen 11-23-07 and Waylon Fenimore, My VBAC baby 09-17-09 My Gallery. I would love to dye something for you! PM for details. Major Yarn Destash!!!!!!
Bethannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

We use jeans for play and wool for inside and nights. I can't even immagine looking at my upcycled wool covered in mud and clay clumps. We are a full time outside family when the weather permits. I would just love to send William out to play in his upcycleds, but I couldn't bare it! I cringe at the thought. We do the play in the dirt and mud thing while I plant and tend the garden. They destroy jeans! Today they were making dirt beds to sleep in, lol. Wallering in then like little piggies. Plus I would spend hours picking out the little grass pieces. I have a wool cycle on the washer i love, but it's an hour cycle. it prob wouldn't get more than the average oatmeal accident out anyhow, as gentile as it is.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't have a farm, but for some reason my kids love playing in freshly compost mulched garden beds. For one I always use dark cuffs. You don't want to know how much dirt comes out in my woolie soaks. Darker colors are also better. Like avoid colorways with white/undyed. And a multitude of gross can come out in a nice long soak. I have some woolies I got used that were pretty dingy and after several long soaks in a rinse free wool wash (I use Soak brand, but that is personal preference) the undyed parts almost look white. Almost. Long story short, darker colors. Maybe dedicate a couple of pairs for outdoor play.
Mama to my energy balls (5 and 3)
Going back to school!
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I definitely don't live on a farm, but I let my DS play like any normal kid in his interlock. They just go into the normal wash with everything else when they get dingy and they come out good as new I have also used Fels Naptha soap on some interlock that I thought was beyond salvagable... and guess what - the dirt came right out!!

I second the vote for dark colors and I would stick with interlock - that stuff if sturdy!
Erica - Married to Jeff, Momma to Gibson, our rainbow baby Josie, and furbaby Boston Terriers Shelby & Penny, forever missing our angel babies Marshall Feb '11 and our Beans Nov '11 & Feb '12
emeyer76 is offline   Reply With Quote