Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
leila03ash
Registered Users

Pumping on one side, Nursing in the other?

What are the ramifications of pumping on one side (left) 3 out of 4 times and only nursing on the right? My right side never give more than half an ounce when I pump, but my daughter seems very satisfied and full when she nurses from it. Since the left side produces much more when I pump, I thought I would nurse in the right and pump on the left 3 times a day and the nurse on both sides for the other feedings. Would this work?

Advertisement

leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did this for several months (when DS was about 2-3 months old until he was maybe 6-7 months?) and there were a few things. First of all, my nursing breast would get engorged every 2 hours. That really sucked since we did a few longer car trips during that time. Then all of a sudden due to teething or somthing DS only wanted to nurse on the pumping side, which didn't produce nearly enough milk to satisfy him (took about a week to compensate).
Also, the pumping breast had to be pumped 3-4 times a day which was really a pain. It took about a month to switch back to both breasts.

Also during this time because the nursing side would keep getting so painfully engorged after such a short time, i always looked lopsided. Actually, it used to be that my pumping breast was naturally larger than my nursing one, but that switched pretty quick. Now my nursing breast is a little 'saggier' than my pumping one.