Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's wonderful! Newborns tend to sleep a lot, you should sleep too.. But you won't. You'll he showing him off, staring at him, taking 16843897350964 pictures. So then in a couple weeks you will be do sleep deprived you actually think wearing just your bra around the house is just easier. Lol.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is the first week home really like?

For me the first week is wonderful and laid back. am I emotional? yes. exhausted? yes but it's so wonderful.
I usually stay 2 days in the hospital (which I love) then home to the kids and my hubby. My mom usually takes a week off too to help with the other kids and things like cleaning and cooking so that all I have to worry about is the baby. I spend my days snuggling, nursing, snacking, sleeping, and basically just staring at my beautiful babe.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
-Have granola bars, string cheese or cubed cheese/salami/crackers, bananas, hummus and veggies, etc, all ready for you. Things to eat with one hand. This helps with breastfeeding and for when you realize that somehow it's been like 20 hours and you haven't eaten yet. I portioned out every night into containers and then just had to grab them.
Yes!! I was hungrier while bf than I was the entire pregnancy! And you need quick easy heathy options to fill you up at 1 am/ or whenever it hits you! I was starving all the time! Every time the baby ate I needed to refuel!!
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #14
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Without talking about c-section recovery... the first week is so special! My body must have a lot of adrenaline the first 3 weeks as I'm up a lot, but also rarely tired. It's great to have help... utilize it!!! Let go of how you "normally do things" and just let your husband help how he helps.

My tips:

-get a huge drink cup to hold your water
-make freezer meals ahead of time to lighten the load on your hubby and you after recovery (for my c-s when recovery is longer, i make 4-6 weeks' worth) for a vaginal birth, i'd make enough for 2 weeks or so
-get a big basket so it can become your "nest"... you can carry it to whatever couch/chair you are sitting on. you can put whatever book you're reading, craft your working on, baby book/journal, lasinoh cream, burp cloths, water, phone, etc.

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 04-10-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: i clicked on submit too early!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Didn't find sleep an issue with the first, we'll see with the second. I slept whenever baby slept so I never felt sleep deprived. Definitely was emotional! And HUNGRY!!

The only thing I didn't see mentioned was BFing issues. Make sure you have a lactation consultants phone number handy and LLL meeting info, just in case. My mom told me that BFing was a piece of cake and it was excruciating for me. I had thrush, mastitis on and off, cracked and bleeding nipples and nothing to put on them. I knew about engorgement but didn't know it was going to hurt so much and didn't know how to handle it. Would have preferred being told that I need to look into it and at the very least have a good resource to go to like www.kellymom.com or a lactation book to refer to. This time around I have these products to help should anything come up...

Lanolin
coconut oil
latchassist
pump
Cool/warm packs
breast pads to keep from staining bras

If I get mastitis I'll have DH pick up cabbage leave to put on breast. For thrush, it'll be gentian violet.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As you can see, every person and pregnancy is different!

Each of my babies have been a different recovery.

My last baby, who is now 8w old, was my hardest!
I was beyond emotional and so afraid that I was getting PPD!
I was NOT prepared for that.

Next time around, I'm gonna make freezer meals that can be thrown into the crock pot (DH friendly)
LOTS of easy snacks for me and my older kids to grab.
A handy list of all restraunts near that do take out.

I'd stay in bed the first week. Gets lots of rest and snuggle time with your little one. I suggest BF'ing on demand.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As you can see, every person and pregnancy is different!

Each of my babies have been a different recovery.

My last baby, who is now 8w old, was my hardest!
I was beyond emotional and so afraid that I was getting PPD!
I was NOT prepared for that.

Next time around, I'm gonna make freezer meals that can be thrown into the crock pot (DH friendly)
LOTS of easy snacks for me and my older kids to grab.
A handy list of all restraunts near that do take out.

I'd stay in bed the first week. Gets lots of rest and snuggle time with your little one. I suggest BF'ing on demand.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be honest, I thought the first week was pretty darn easy after all the crazy stories I had read. The biggest difference inmy experience and most here are we didn't CD from the start (though we had the diapers) and I was pumping not breastfeeding (long story). The pumping was a pain and continued to get harder the next 8 months but other than that I didn't think there was much to do. Tommy was relatively easy and whileI did have lots of help it was more annoying than anything. The hardest part was DF was working over 90 hours a week for the 3-4 weeks after we came home. Not having him around was tough emotionally.

This time around I think it will be much harder with a toddler running around. We'll see!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My physical recovery was fairly easy for both of mine. I was a bit slow moving and bathroom breaks to f.or.e.v.e.r, but overall, I felt good. I was not, however, prepared for the emotions. I cried for absolutely no reason at all. Look at the baby, cry. Eat food, cry. Look at DH, cry. You get the idea. LOL! Happened the second time, too, but I was more ready for it. Really, that first week is magical. I even loved the visitors. I was so glad my mom lived just down the road. I would call and just ask her to come over. Not to do anything, just sit with us. I needed DH a lot, too, but there is just something comforting about my mama, KWIM?
Have fun! There really is nothing quite like that first week with your first baby. Or the second or.....
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
It's like time isn't real. Days and nights fade together, filled with loves, cuddles, and emotions flying all over the place. I actually did not feel very tired the first few months. It's like a drug almost, I was running on adrenaline. It was months later I got really tired I didn't notice a lot more laundry, baby stuff is tiny. The first few weeks are basicallt just sleeping, nursing, and diapering They're wonderful, and they go by so quickly! Enjoy
For me, the first 2 weeks were basically about eating, sleeping, eating, and nursing. We had a lot of visitors, and that was great for us. I, actually wasn't really tired. DD slept well the first 4 weeks--only waking 1x per night to eat. At about a month old she started waking more often, and it's now when she's 5 months old (and for the past month or two) that I'm really tired. I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I felt like I couldn't ever get enough to eat or drink. I'd definitely second the suggestion to have lots of food on hand that you can eat with one hand (for some reason, hunger and thirst would hit me hardest while I was nursing).

I wasn't terribly emotional, but the physical recovery was tough. I had to have an epis., and several times felt like I tore stitches just shifting in bed. I think that was the most surprising thing for me because I'd expected to heal much faster. That and breast feeding was excruciating for the first few weeks (well, 8 for me).
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote