Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
magoose
Registered Users

Sleeping on thier Belly?

DS2 is a terrible sleeper already. If he's on his back, even propped up at an angle, his breathing gets all congested sounding and he wakes up. He will only really sleep on our chests or on his belly. Since he's only five weeks old, I've been having him sleep on his belly on the couch with me during the day so I can keep close to him. I'm seriously debating having him sleep on his belly during the night now too. I am so tired from not sleeping that I'm getting desperate. He does sleep sort of ok in bed with DH and me, but then I don't sleep because I'm listening to every little sound and worried that DH will roll over on him. Not sure what's best to do...keep trying him on his back, have him sleep on his belly, or just keep with the co-sleeping and hope I get used to it? Anyone else have their babies sleep on thier bellies? Anything else I should try?

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD was a belly sleeper. She would NOT sleep on her back. I gave in and kept her in the pack n play next to me until she had decent control of her head then quit worrying about it
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleeping on thier Belly?

my 1st 4 slept only on their bellies from birth. we always bed-share so I don't worry about it. With my 1st with XH and my 1st with DH, I would sleep in the middle and have the baby on the outside so hubs wouldn't roll on them until they got a bit bigger or until I stopped worrying about it. My 5th slept on his back better until he was a toddler, now he likes his belly.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd let him sleep on his belly. If you have the funds ($100), get a Snuza Halo sleep monitor. It clips on the diaper and senses the belly movement.

the sleep monitor is the only way I didn't lose my sanity listening for every breath.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Babies, on the whole, really do sleep better on their bellies. As soon and they can they pretty much all roll there.

I'd get a sleep monitor so that we could all sleep well!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't do it without a monitor. They sleep better cause they go into a very deep sleep state and can't rouse themselves when trouble arises. My 5 month old cousin died in his crib, on his tummy.

Buy the monitor!!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just throwing another idea out there - when my ds got fussy on his back, I would turn him onto his side. He'd be swaddled with his back resting against the side of the bassinet so he couldn't roll onto his face.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am fully convinced that tummy sleeping is safe if baby is breastfed, no one smokes in the home and baby is within eat shot of mama. All my babies were tummy sleepers and we did bed sharing from day one. I understand this doesn't work for everyone though. Can he be in your room in a Pack N Play or bassinet?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both my girls slept on their sides,maybe try that? We cosleep though so it is the best position snuggled up next to me.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since I am not comfy with tummy sleeping, we let our kiddos sleep in the swing. It helped with the congestion a lot.

My parents friends lost a baby to SIDS, and we do absolutely everything we can to prevent it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote