Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Where did it go?

Yesterday I had what seemed to be an infection in my right breast. I did hot packs, massage, and frequent busing/pumping. Today I feel a ton better but have noticed a huge decrease in my supply. I usually can only nurse one side per feeding but am now having trouble filling up DD with both. I have been drinking lots of water but I'm at a loss as to what else to do. Please help- DD is only 11 weeks and I am terrified my milk is drying up.

Advertisement

yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Where did it go?

I would suggest that you see your OB or midwife. Your breast infection may seem like its cleared up, but it could just be a bit better, and you REALLY don't want to let it turn into a chronic situation (BTDT it sucks, trust me).
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I think I am less concerned about the infection at this point and more concerned about where my milk went. In less than 24 hours I went from drowning my daughter in milk everytime she nursed to leaving her starving. I often pump 14 oz in a 10 minute session. I just pumped before bed and got less than an ounce. I am at a loss and completely sick about this. I wouldn't even begin to know what formula I could even put her on. She has sensitivities to both dairy and soy. I really hope this resolves so I can keep nursing her. I can't imagine having to stop now...
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I'm tellin' ya man- Its all connected; Call your midwife or at least an LC. Neutramagin or Alimentum are usually the first round hypoallergenics (my son had multiple food allergies as a baby and an anaphylactic reaction to his first bottle of forumla- Enfamil Lapil), but since this is a new thing I'm sure you can fix it before it turns to $25 a can formula.

Have you tried Steel cut oats and mother's milk tea?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mastitis often causes a reduction in supply for a little while--a few days, while you recover. I wouldn't panic over it.

Milk generally doesn't just disappear unless you are a) pregnant or have some other hormonal thing going on, b) you are ill and badly dehydrated or c) you stop giving your body the message to create milk by changing your nursing behavior, like not nursing your baby very much and supplementing because you believe your supply is low. Milk supply almost always bounces back after illness and if you return to your usual nursing frequency and duration. Pregnancy--milk supply doesn't usually bounce back from that hit until you give birth.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
kdc_star
Registered Users

I would definitely get it checked out...you don't want an infection to get out of hand as it can cause your supply to tank for sure.

But there is also the possibility that she is having a growth spurt- around 3 months is prime growth spurt time. Is she having lots of wet/dirty diapers?
kdc_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
kdc_star
Registered Users

And don't forget that pumping is not a good indicator of supply. Especially right after a feeding. Babies are MUCH more efficient than pumps. Keep nursing frequently, keep your fluid intake up and start eating oatmeal daily. This will help maintain your supply
kdc_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Yes, tons of wet and dirty diapers. I drank tons of water before I went to bed and got a good solid 7 hours (DD snoozed straight through) and my breasts were full when I got up which is super encouraging. Thanks so much for your help. I'll keep up the oatmeal. I also ordered some Fenugreek and Mothers Milk tea so I'll get that going tomorrow when it comes.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

I had the same thing happen twice. DD still had plenty of wet diapers but certainly wasn't getting full like before. In about 2 or 3 days, my supply increased again. I didn't do anything except drinks lots of fluids, rest, and feed as often as I could get her to.
lotstolearn is offline   Reply With Quote