Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Poet Laureate
Tell her to hang in there! I have to stay off of dairy, soy, eggs and nuts for ds and I went through an elimination diet to figure it out. (eating only 6 foods for 2 weeks, then adding in one at a time.) the first few weeks are the toughest but once you adjust it isn't so bad. It sounds like she needs some extra support. I know that I did in the beginning, so I started talking to a friend whose son had fpies and could only and I mean ONLy tolerate range fed beef in her milk. You are welcome to give her my email/Facebook if she needs to talk to someone who's been there.

On another note, my LLL leader who is also a biologist by profession said even if I can't go 100% that breast milk is STILL better for baby and more easy to absorb, even with the allergens in it. So it's not all or nothing. I hope her and baby start feeling better soon.

Also, my first ds who was ff had the same rash from normal formulas, and once he was on elecare even though his gut was better, we couldn't kick the bleeding rash, until I used hydrocortisone cream on it. Then it cleared up in 2 days! Since she has already eliminated a major allergen, the cream should begin to help! My best advice is, if she is not 100% ready to quit nursing, then just stick it out one more day, then another until she is sure of her decision. I was unable to nurse ds because my milk never came in and I have ALWAYS regretted my decision to not try harder. (I was unaware of supplements and sns systems back then) anyways, one day at a time is the way to go. Even one hour at a time. It's ROUGH. I had some dark days on that elimination diet, but it does get easier!! Tell her to focus on what she CAN eat instead of what she can't.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 04-11-2012 at 09:08 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote