Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
We have never really given cereal. It is unlikely that your daughter needs anything but breastmilk yet you could easily ebf her for several more months and then start introducing fruit and veggies. Lots of people skip puree too and follow a baby led weaning technique. Poppy is 16 months and still primarily nurses. Her choice not ours. We offer her a wide variety of food but she is mostly not interested.
My ped recommends introducing before 12 months for texture reasons. I don't plan on starting anything for another month or two

Advertisement

FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
SarahS12
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff

What are the benefits? What's the purpose of doing grains first? Vs jumping into fruits veggies
My ped told us to start cereal first because it's fortified with iron. She said babies are born with the iron they need for about the first six months and after that need to get it from their food (if they are breast fed). We still haven't started solids (ds is 5 months). She recommended cereal and veggies or fruit to start at 6 months.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
greencarnation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What brand rice cereal did you start on?

My LO is 8 months and I am not introducing grains until 12 mos. Early intro of grains can lead to gluten intolerance. Rice cereal has no nutritional value and EBF babies do not need extra iron. Currently, he doesn't eat enough to talk about, but he has tasted peppers, onions, beans, and apples.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation
My LO is 8 months and I am not introducing grains until 12 mos. Early intro of grains can lead to gluten intolerance. Rice cereal has no nutritional value and EBF babies do not need extra iron. Currently, he doesn't eat enough to talk about, but he has tasted peppers, onions, beans, and apples.
This. But my lo is 5 months. I've just started giving him bits of food. Cereal will/can constipate them as well. Food before one is just for fun. Their nutritional needs are met through breast milk. If you are really worried about iron deficiency, they make liquid vitamins for babies.

Married since 1-23-07. 2 beautiful sons born 4-24-08 and 11-3-11. 1 baby waiting in heaven since 1-13-11.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff View Post
What are the benefits? What's the purpose of doing grains first? Vs jumping into fruits veggies
Rice cereal really has no nutritional benefits. If you make it yourself then it won't have iron in it which is usually the only reason peds want babies eating it. But I'm not going to have my baby's first food be highly processed, white rice If you are worried about iron, then you can do meat, or iron supplements. But I have never worried about my kids' iron levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post
Yes, this is one of the big reasons, I'm holding off on grains too. Many family members have recently found out that they are intolerant to gluten. Many of their health problems have cleared up once they cut out gluten. So I'm not introducing grains as a first food, but fruits and veggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411 View Post
This. But my lo is 5 months. I've just started giving him bits of food. Cereal will/can constipate them as well. Food before one is just for fun. Their nutritional needs are met through breast milk. If you are really worried about iron deficiency, they make liquid vitamins for babies.
I agree with this too!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gerber brown rice. But sparingly. Lots of veggies first, then fruits.

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Research shows that regardless of offering veggies or fruit first - most kids will always prefer the sweeter item (fruit). So it really doesn't matter

My daughter loved parsnips the most. I assume because it has a very strong flavor as opposed to most blander veggies.

And yes, cereal is highly controversial right now.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
smeadows
Registered Users

My Mood:

thank you for this post! It was very helpful for me!
smeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Harmommy
Registered Users
seller

We started with bananas and moved to avocados. When I did introdue rice cereal (earths best organic) my poor baby got constipated. Now I give cereal only if it's mixed with prunes, pears, or anything I can add to offset the constipation the cereal causes
Harmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I used black and decker chopper I think it was and it was great. used friuit juices for liquids.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote