Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
twinmama11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question New to EC, need advice!

I just started (last week) ec with my 10 month old boys. So far, I usually catch one poop and several pees a day (combined). My problem is that I always miss the pees. I take them to the potty upon waking, after naps and at diaper changes but it seems like 5 minutes after I try, they go! I've been going bottomless or just prefolds with no covers for a good part of the day (only at home). They go so often that I'm changing diapers all day!

I pay close attention but I feel like I'm missing the signs right before they go. Does it get easier as you move along and do you think that the boys are understanding what the potty and cues are all about? I'm hoping that I get better over time...

Please share some encouraging words! Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

twinmama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
smallthingsnyc
Registered Users
seller

Re: New to EC, need advice!

I'm on my second EC'd kid (super half assed EC) and it is so much easier. Mostly because I just don't have time to care so much and because I've just kind of seen that with time it comes, you don't have to force it.

Since you have two already I would find a way to care a little less because it is just too hard to be perfect with it while keeping up with two human beings (not for everyone I guess but for me, and starting at 10 months it is going to be a little trickier)

Instead of focusing on the full day just pick an hour or so each day maybe to focus on one kid? You basically want to start getting them to associate the cue with the peeing. And watch their signals. But both together because you want them to know what the hell you are doing holding them over the potty. I put my daughter in a fleece pouch naked for that hour. They usually hold their pee on their people, though my son didn't. She does so this is great. She gets really fidgety before she pees and I take her to the potty.

Getting to no diapers or lots of catches takes a lot of energy in my opinion but getting to super half assed EC doesn't. Example: I wanted to EC my daughter from birth. I and grand plans of using no diapers even. But she had major nursing issues and I just couldn't care about it. So I kept her in a cover less prefold and cued her every time I noticed her peeing (you could do this too). But that's it. For months. In fact wee probably didn't even do that for a good month. And then one day on a whim I held her over the potty and made the sound and she peed. I was amazed that she had made the connection with so little effort.

So here is my half assed EC plan--
1 hour of diaper free time in the sling a day. If she pees during that time (on me or in potty, though she has never peed on me) fine. If not fine. No big deal. I have no time to care either way.
If I notice she is dry when I change a diaper I pee her.
If I remember or can manage it I cue her over the diaper when changing it.
If I have a wierd, "maybe she needs to pee/poop" thought I take her (because those are eerily spot on)

And that is it the rest of the day is in diapers dragging ourselves after a toddler.

With my son I maybe committed more energy to it but then he went on Strike from 11-14 months. Screaming about the potty. So we gave up for a while. Then we threw out the diapers at 15 months. At 18 months he was independent at home (if he was pants less) during the day. We just got him night trained (at almost 3) but largely that was because of being pregnant and not caring and slapping pullups on him.
smallthingsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
twinmama11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to EC, need advice!

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try! I think I'm trying too hard because I'm such a perfectionist! I will try the hour a day too and see how we do. I just got a toilet seat topper and a BB potty and they've started getting upset when I put them on it, so I've had to back off quite a bit (I definitely don't want them to associate the potty with being upset). I guess my main issue is that I really can't tell when they are peeing...guess this too will take time! )

Thanks again!
twinmama11 is offline   Reply With Quote